Notices

I didn't drink at a bachelorette party.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I didn't drink at a bachelorette party.

This weekend I went to the bachelorette party I previously wrote about.

Long story short - we went to three wineries, two bars, a restaurant, and the MOH and Bride smoked pot before dinner.

Not drinking was not hard for me. I made my intentions known before we even left for the first winery. Pot doesn't bother me. I've never tried it (nor cigarettes) and I don't plan it.

I think the realization of how amazing life could be was at 7:11 am. I woke up with a smile on my face. I was clear headed. I was not sick. I wasn't sweating. I didn't have a pounding-behind-the-eyes headache. I wasn't shivering. I didn't have a dry throat. The list just goes on. I wasn't guilty. I remembered every conversation I had.. every laugh that made tears come to my eyes. I was ready to start the day.

One of them got sick, but she seemed to bounce back. I remember the feeling, though. You don't really bounce back after vomiting, do you? You still shake - your insides feel like there are millions of microscopic worms wriggling around. You attempt to eat up a greasy breakfast, and even though you need the food, you have to push the plate away, or you'll be up and running to the bathroom again.

As the day went on - it got even better. I went to the grocery store, I prepared lunch for the week and dinner. I made a green smoothie for lunch. I rearranged the pantry, and refilled the flour and steel cut oat glass jars we have. I even worked on my budget.

Had I been drinking, I would have blacked out. I would have pissed the bed. I would have suffered through the morning as best as I could. Weak, tired, sick.. I would have headed straight to bed the minute I got home, without much conversation between my SO and I. I wouldn't have worked on my budget. I wouldn't have gone grocery shopping, and I wouldn't have prepared healthy lunches.

Life. Is. Better. Sober.

If you're struggling right now, please keep fighting. I know I'm only 5 months into my sobriety with a long way to go (a lifetime at that), but I can already see the change happening.. and guys, it feels damn good.

<3
Old 10-08-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Great job! You have got to be proud of how much strength and wisdom you have!
Old 10-08-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are a Rock Star, truly.

That story? That's a miracle. What a comeback story. Thanks so much for the update, and well done.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the wonderful reminder of how great life can be!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go, Nikka!
Glad you stuck with your plan.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job! I can't much imagine more temptation to drink than that night. It's downhill from there!
Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You are a tough woman. Good going.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Isn't it just simply AMAZING when you are sober? Don't get me wrong I still hate the mornings and hate waking up but it is so much easier to get out of bed and actually do things. I remember all too well the bachelor parties and bachelor party WEEKENDS or at least I remember the aftermath of such events. Many times it would take two days to recover or even three when they were the 48 he variety type. God it was horrific. I would wake up dreading my existence and dreading every breath I took wishing I would just die. Every movement was pained... Goodness why did I out myself through that? It's not like I could remember if I even had fun the night before.

Fast forward to now. There is no dreading the mornings well not at least in the same way. I am up and doing things by 9 am on weekends whereas before I would be useless to the world until noon or so and not until after I had a drink to feel better. I am so happy you have found just how truly wonderful life can be...sober.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, hooray, you!!!! I've been watching for you and I'm so glad you stayed so strong and did so well.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cool you went anyway and just did your own thing while still having fun. Perfect. We don't have to be shut ins... My husband is playing a huge gig next month at a bar, bunch of mutual friends' bands playing, I committed to going months ago. Love to read stories like yours...I have to still engage with drinking related events sometimes, it is what it is. I'll just buy a cute dress and drink diet coke. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for keeper my us posted!!!

This is great news. Keep flexing those sober muscles!!!
Old 10-09-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are staying strong Nikka!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations, and that was pure joy to read. Sobriety suits you very well. The last two years I have been sober. I relish the joy in waking up the day after the 4th of July or on New Years Day when most of the world is feeling horrible, I'm planning my workout or meals. It makes it all worthwhile.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Cool you went anyway and just did your own thing while still having fun. Perfect. We don't have to be shut ins... My husband is playing a huge gig next month at a bar, bunch of mutual friends' bands playing, I committed to going months ago. Love to read stories like yours...I have to still engage with drinking related events sometimes, it is what it is. I'll just buy a cute dress and drink diet coke. Thanks for posting.
My situation can be way different from another person in recovery. My suggestion is to *always* have your diet coke within reach, or just hold it. At each winery I asked for a glass of water to sip while we chatted. Although I don't get cravings and I knew I wasn't going to drink - it feels like I'm doing something everyone else is doing by just having a glass in my hand. The after for me is so incredibly enjoyable that I just can't wait to wake up without a hangover! Basically, just be honest with yourself. I knew I was being honest with myself when I said I wasn't going to drink. so I was fine with attending the party. You got this
Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had a good time, Nikki!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Nikkia! It feels good to get through an event like that. And waking up sober and being productive never gets old
Old 10-18-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hell yeah!! I have a sober bachelorette coming up in two weeks so I think ill save this to read as a nice reminder!

Good Job Girl!!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done with this . You must feel so good .
Whats a bachelorette party
Old 10-18-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That is so awesome!!! Thank you for sharing
Old 10-18-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
canchangeu

I am the same way. Just because your around alcohol doesn't mean you have to partake. Good job!