Notices

Airports and Airplanes

Old 10-04-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Airports and Airplanes

My weaknesses. As some of you may know, I travel a lot for work. It had slowed down recently which has really helped me stay and get sober. But today, I started up travel again.

First stop the airline club. While I would have gone in there and get a scotch or two, not this time. Sparkling water with lime. And as tempting as the club is/was, the general terminal areas are packed with bars and restaurants. All that wine!!!

Then the plane. As I travel a lot on business I get upgrades a lot to business/first class. Problem here is FREE drinks and wine. Guy next to me orders a double Dewars. I see the other drinks and wine being served. THE dewars was tough because truth be told, I love the taste of a good scotch.

But, I made sure I had work to do on the plane (part of my plan), ordered a sparkling water again. Made it through.

I think I passed a major test!! And tomorrow comes the return flight!
Old 10-04-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hooray, you!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good going Horn

D
Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. And instead of hitting the hotel bar, I'm heading to the fitness center.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Thanks guys. And instead of hitting the hotel bar, I'm heading to the fitness center.
You'll feel a lot better tomorrow after hitting the gym, as opposed to hitting the bar.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job. I just returned from a business trip, and was in first class as well. I like to think how rested and clear headed I will be when I refrain from drinking. I also used to get so caught up in the endless game of "where is my drink/how fast do I drink this to get another one/is anyone noticing how many I'm drinking"

And going to the hotel gym is loads better than any Tuesday morning hangover.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is awesome! When I drank I loved airports for that reason. No one looks at you funny if you order a drink at 8am. I've been sober 30 days and haven't flown anywhere yet. In a month I have a trip to a wedding, so double whammy of two flights to get there, and then a big celebration. This gives me confidence.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's great Horn. Airports and planes always used to hit me the same way too. One thing that I noticed has helped make the whole flying process better is to be well fed and satisfied before boarding. I swear sometimes I look back and think my body was trying to tell me to eat something!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kachal View Post
This is awesome! When I drank I loved airports for that reason. No one looks at you funny if you order a drink at 8am. I've been sober 30 days and haven't flown anywhere yet. In a month I have a trip to a wedding, so double whammy of two flights to get there, and then a big celebration. This gives me confidence.
Funny, I was reading my journal entries from my worst alcoholic days. There were times if I had an early flight, I'd drink from the hotel mini-bar, then go to the airport. Then if there were a United club, I'd down a couple of double scotches. There were times when I'd the equivalent of two bottles of wine before 9 am. Hitting bars at 8 am too. Dear Lord, I am NEVER going back to those days. NEVER.

I feel so much better about myself these days.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Thanks Horn et. al.

I'm going to visit my mom for her birthday later this month, I got headphones for the plane. It's an early flight so I'll have a coffee...but still...airports and airplanes.

I'll have to play the tape, and remember the times going to visit where I got ********* on the plane, got a bottle of vodka for the hotel room, brought wine to dinner, went out with high school friends until 5am...

No thanks. I always felt like crap after 2 days, and by the end of the week I was worse than I was when I was home.

Meeting 6am the first day there, then play it by ear.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My first fake stint with sobriety (wasn't really committed at the time) ended at the airport after a mere 4 weeks dry. I used that as an excuse because I'm afraid to fly (well, I used to be. Now that my anxiety is gone, I'm not). I traveled relatively often and to me, it always meant the "fun" of getting trashed. I'd stop at the gas station and buy six of those tiny bottles. A couple downed while waiting for the shuttle, a few more through the gate, and then I'd have three for the ride. I'd order beer in flight. I would be wasted when I got to my destination. It was kind of fun, I'll admit. that's over though, but I did trick myself into drinking again. Last year's flight, I didn't drink at all at it was to the Middle east.