Notices

So Anxious but Can't Drink

Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Anxious but Can't Drink

I'm picking up a new car tomorrow. Today is payday and I avoided the shops for fear I will buy wine. It is my go to when I feel like the anxiety has reached a fever pitch. I'm not sure how to cope without it to be honest. Drinking is my calm down. It's hard with money in the bank. Much easier with none. Just have to take it hour by hour I suppose. I'm back smoking to decrease anxiety but it must have been the alcohol I was craving these past few days. I can't afford to drink again. I have pushed the boundaries way too far with my health now. Maybe I need to read some books on panic attacks.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sweetichick

Try and relax - there's no reason for you to go to the shops today...just potter around..maybe lie down? it will be evening before you know it - are there any close meetings tonight?

then its bed and then....new car day

There's a good book list as the top of the forum - some of those books may be in your local library

D
Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will lie down and do some deep breathing. Maybe I am just overexcited about the car. It will be harder tomorrow because I can drive to the pub.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

or...

you can drive right past the pub and go to Wynnum or some of the other places you talked about wanting to visit

D
Old 09-18-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Or you can drive to some different meetings.

Breathing exercises did help me when I was at that high-anxiety stage. Alternate nostril breathing especially. (In one nostril slowly, then out of the other. Then in that one slowly and out of the first and repeat about ten times. (Holding wn the nostril not breathing through).

Also breathing slowly and steadily while noticing what each of my senses was picking up in the here and now- what could I see? Hear? Smell? How do different parts of my body feel right now?

You've just bought a car Sweetie - this is really not a good time to lose your licence. Easiest way to avoid that? Not drinking.

Have you been getting to meetings Sweetie or has that gone by the wayside a bit this week?

BB
Old 09-19-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I managed to calm down. Glad I didn't drink over it. Just shows what I can get through.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad too

D
Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so happy that Dee and Berry made me see sense yesterday. I bounced out of bed today and are so grateful to be sober and not hungover and feeling awefull. Thanks again guys.
I'm scared at the prospect of never being able to drink again but know it is just a day at a time process.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Have you been getting to meetings Sweetie or has that gone by the wayside a bit this week?

BB
welp?