Notices

12 days in- so far so good.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 days in- so far so good.

Hello,

I'm currently in to day 12 of not drinking, which is the most I've managed for years.
I'm active, I've always worked, paid the bills and been where I have to be- but if I'm honest I am probably what you'd call a functioning alcoholic.

Over the last 10 years my wine drinking has crept up on me, with me drinking a couple of bottles a night, 3-4 times a week, or every night on holidays/time off.
It's just become a habit, as it's so easy to stick a few bottles in the trolley when out shopping- I'd always struggle to bypass the wine aisle, even if I'd decided not to buy any before I went in.

It was starting to affect my health- apart from feeling like crap all the time, and waiting for evening when I can open a bottle, I'd developed an eye twitch- which has now completely gone.

I'm feeling loads better now and sleeping better (did have nightmares and insomnia for the first week), and doing jobs around the house I'd been putting off.
I found just reading threads on here has helped, but my question is, what next?
I really want to keep this up, as alcohol doesn't do anything for me anymore- and I really don't want to go back to it.
Just hoping I don't give in to temptation this weekend when I have the house to myself.
(Maybe I just needed to write all this down....)

I'm not keen on going to 'meetings', as I like to do things myself, and maybe I'm even a bit ashamed that I'm finding something so difficult.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on 12 days. I still felt rotten at day 12 (and for the first 2 months!!) so its great you are feeling so well. The downside to feeling so well early on is that although it can inspire you to keep going, it is easy to slip back when the memories of feeling awful have receded.

Making a plan for at risk times (e.g. weekends) will help. Join the 'weekenders thread' to keep tabs on yourself if that is a difficult time- it has been really helpful for me.

I don't go to meetings either. I am really private and posting on SR is as much sharing as I can tolerate so far! Like you I was a so called functional alcoholic. The upside of that is that you probably have a good daily structure, with work and commitments etc. This really helps in staying sober. Another thing that helped me was to come to SR most days and read (if not post). It keeps in my mind the dangers of relapse and also gives me hope on the dark days.
Well done and keep going. It really does get easier.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR, BW

You'll find a lot of support here - read around and post as much as you like

D
Old 09-14-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first month I was on SR all weekend. I do a task or whatever, then come read or post. Just staying connected was very helpful to keep my mindset and focus right. Mood swings, dreams, and major headaches were my first month. It was worth it. Soon my mind started thinking about other things than the wine aisle. Next week will be 5 months and I'm beginning to develop new thoughts and sober habits. Stay strong.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the above comments.
I made it through the weekend without giving in- day 15 now.
It wasn't as bad as I feared- still had the odd craving, but knowing how much better I now feel from the moment I wake up, and not wanting to go back helped me stay on track.
It does seem to be getting easier. I have a clear head and sleep well.

I gave up smoking 8 years ago cold turkey, when I realised it was pointless- as in the only reason I was smoking was because I was addicted and all I was doing was harming myself. So I'm hoping alcohol will go the same way.
My main concern now is turning down social invitations, and making excuses for why I'm not drinking.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 15 days! Below is what I saved from an earlier thread about what we can tell others, usually "no thanks" is all that's needed.

"It just wasn't helping me in any way in my life."

"I feel so much better without it."

"I've outgrown my partying days."

"I've decided to focus on my health and fitness," (of course, then there's health and fitness to focus on...)

"I'm taking a break from it to see how I like a completely alcohol-free life." You could use that for the next 40 years - "Oh, yeah, I'm still taking a break."

"I don't like how I feel when I drink," or, "I don't like the day-after feeling."
Old 09-27-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm at 25 days now, which i think is the longest I've ever gone without a drink since I had my first beer, 20 years ago.
I had my biggest test recently- I was away on a work trip, and I was given a drink allowance each night!
I seriously considered having wine with my meal, but I followed advice I read on here and knew that if I buckled once, my inner booze monkey voice would somehow justify slipping back into old habits- so I stuck to water.
I still get cravings, but am learning to deal with them and ride them out.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

25 days is brilliant. Well done and keep going!!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 25 days of sobriety!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nice work, Beardy! It feels so good to get free of it.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 12! Keep up the good work.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through BW - congrats on 25 days

D
Old 09-27-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep the momentum going!
Old 09-27-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good job mate.