Notices

There's a bottle of wine in the 'fridge - advice?

Old 09-04-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There's a bottle of wine in the 'fridge - advice?

I've had some bad withdrawals and have been at the point where I end up drinking because I feel like I don't have an option. I worked through my shame and got brave enough to talk to my doctor about it in full honesty and found an alternative way to detox. I was still very nervous about it so I bought a bottle of wine on day 1 "just in case". There were moments where I thought I needed to break it open but told myself no, I can get through the withdrawals without drinking and opening that bottle would only start the process over.

So... I made it through the worst!! I'm on day 7 now. And now when I open the 'fridge I am looking at it like it's potentially a ticking time bomb. I don't want it in the house. A part of me (AV I guess) says what's the big deal, just leave it there in case someone comes over and you can give it to them. The other part of me wants it out immediately. If I get rid of it what is the best way!? Open it and pour it out and recycle? Then again I'm also worried to open it. Although in my current state of mind I am determined and will pour it out.

I think I just answered my own question. Pour it out immediately while I am thinking this, right?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

You're right- you answered your own question.

I am adamantly anti-taper and even more adamant that we simply cannot leave ourselves "open options" "just in case." I'd have found any reason to have a "case"!

Besides talking to your doctor, what is your plan for recovery? Once the alcohol is out of your system - what is your life sober going to look like? Coming here is a great start- check out the Class of Sep thread under the Newcomers Daily Support. I am a dedicated AAer and it saved my life- I did about 82 in 90 of the suggest 90 (meetings) in 90 (days) and truly surrendered in acceptance that I simply cannot ever drink again. My new life- so much better than anything I could have imagined- began.

Hope to see you here.

Throw it out.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't think about it. Dump it...down the sink or wherever but get it gone.
You don't need it - you're a non drinker now

D
Old 09-04-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dump it! Get it away, it won't do you any good. If taking it in your hand and dumping it scares you, why don't you call a neighbour or a friend who lives nearby (who drink responsibly) and give it to this person - then you get rid of the problem and make another person happy?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It didn't take me long - I jumped on the moment and dumped it down the sink. I decided I really enjoy not having heartburn and my esophagus on fire. I feel a great sense of relief now. No more "just in case" scenarios to entertain.

I am already in the class of September group and they've helped a lot. I'm working through support and what sober life looks like. I have wanted to go to AA but honestly I've always been fearful I'd see someone I know. It's a silly fear but it has kept me away. That and someone seeing me coming/going to a meeting. I'll look into options.. perhaps online. But a group of people in the flesh going through the same things would definitely be nice.

Thank you for your response.

I'm so thankful for these 7 days and will do anything I can to keep it going. My life depends on it.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a non drinker now - I don't need it!! I love that!
Old 09-04-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 09-04-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 60andbeyond View Post
It didn't take me long - I jumped on the moment and dumped it down the sink. I decided I really enjoy not having heartburn and my esophagus on fire. I feel a great sense of relief now. No more "just in case" scenarios to entertain.

I am already in the class of September group and they've helped a lot. I'm working through support and what sober life looks like. I have wanted to go to AA but honestly I've always been fearful I'd see someone I know. It's a silly fear but it has kept me away. That and someone seeing me coming/going to a meeting. I'll look into options.. perhaps online. But a group of people in the flesh going through the same things would definitely be nice.

Thank you for your response.

I'm so thankful for these 7 days and will do anything I can to keep it going. My life depends on it.
Don't be afraid to go to AA, it helped me a lot! You won't feel alone with your problems anymore.
ANd if you should see someone you know there, maybe they will be of even greater help to you, if they know you already and see your are reaching out for help! IF they are already in AA they won't judge you for coming, they will be understanding and helpful to you, and encourage you to learn how to live a good sober life.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Throw it out you DON'T need it, what good will it bring to you?

Throw it out
Old 09-04-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Well done got that poison away down the drains where it belongs. It was just a bottle of poison dressed up with a pretty label. It's a lie!!! All the best with your journey n well done on a week
Old 09-04-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My husband keeps wine in the fridge and opened bottles are a daily torment; they sit there for weeks. I hate it. If I was the only one in the house, and had the option of not having those bottles stare at me, I would never keep alcohol in the house. When things get tough, I dump the wine down the sink; it feels like an exorcism.

Congrats on dumping that garbage in the sink. I am up late tonight, thinking about the half-empty bottle in the fridge and you just inspired me to do the same.

(Congrats on sobriety, too)!
Old 09-04-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done!
When I decided to quit drinking, and got the power to down the last bottle of vodka in the sink rather than drink it i felt really strong. Felt amazing to overcome the urge to drink it, and dumping it instead
Old 09-04-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, it's amazing how many of us go through the same thing. I'm on day 8 and on the 4th decided that the 19 beers and half a bottle of whiskey in my fridge had to go. I thought about giving it away but I didn't want it to cause others harm. I went through every excuse not to throw it away, but I did it. I'm glad I did because I would have drank this weekend had it been there. I have given alcohol more than half my life it has stolen time away from my family and harmed my health. So it's time to let go completely. Congratulations to you, you have made the right decision.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

60andbeyond, good job, FANTASTIC.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

60 well done you .
Old 09-04-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Beyond,

Can you drive to a meeting outside the bounds of where you think you might encounter someone you know?

Fantastic job on dumping the crap the moment you answered your own question! It's AWEsome to just jump sometimes, isn't it? There's more of that to come.

O
Old 09-04-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

My roommates drink, and there is alcohol in the house.

So far I've not been triggered. If I am, out it goes.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You guys are awesome.

I love the thought that it was an exorcism. I got it out of the house! It is evil. Pure evil. There is nothing good to come .. so it was a cleansing of sort. I won. It died. I'm a non drinker and I don't need that poison. So much good stuff here ... THANK YOU everyone!!!

MindfulMan - any chance you can get new roommates? That don't drink??

SoberTyger - After writing this in my moment last night and after AA was mentioned, I started to research meetings. It was overwhelming. I found one tonight that I am going to try to be brave enough to join.

Pouncer - I feel for you. I have a friend that is married to an alcoholic and when they go to dinners or events, she will post photos of her drinking while he's having coffee. I always felt it was mean to him. I mean, yes it's all up to us but ... to drink in front of an alcoholic when you love and care for that person ... it just felt so inconsiderate. Maybe you should just keep dumping out any wine that comes into the house. Feel for you, though.

Joeshope54 - Awesome job. It's a powerful feeling to be in control of us, isn't it. Best not to have anything available. Phew!!! Pretty sure this is my first ever sober Labor Day weekend.

Thank you again everyone for your words. You have no idea how much you help!
Old 09-04-2017, 08:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You definitely answered your own question, pour it out.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by 60andbeyond View Post
MindfulMan - any chance you can get new roommates? That don't drink??
I had a ton of wine in my house leftover from my drinking days when I got back from rehab, I was a big wine collector. I went through most of it on my last binge. I've given most of it away, but oddly enough I'm not at all triggered by it. It'll be gone before long, I'm taking a case over to friends this week, and that's nearly the last of it.

The roomies rarely drink, and have offered to not drink at all in the house. They smoke some weed, but since I loathe weed, in fact I get a nasty allergic reaction to it, it's not really an issue. Also they never drink in front of me.

If it becomes an issue for me, I'll take them up on their offer. They are great roommates and I don't want to find new ones until they're ready to move out.

They've been hugely supportive of my sobriety, and took great care of the house when I was in rehab.

I've learned a number of strategies for dealing with triggers and many other facets of addiction in my current IOP. For example, parties where people are celebrating and partying are a huge trigger, so either I don't go or only stay a short while and always have an exit plan. There are certain people I just can't be around for the same reason. I've also attended 4 AA meetings over the long weekend.

So I don't worry too much about the roommates having a beer or two every month when they're eating dinner in their part of the house.