Notices

Alcohol in Cooking?

Old 08-31-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andagain View Post
I'm super into cooking and you know there's a bunch of dishes that I'm sad to let go, bolognese for example. But ultimately I think it would put my recovery in jeapordy so the way I think is there's a million other delicious things to cook which don't have alcohol and are no risk. However, this is alcohol itself, other products have trace amounts in them and I'm fine with that. I think there's a difference to some vinegar having 1 in 1000 of a unit in it and having a bottle of wine in my kitchen.
This is true.. I'm 9'ish months sober,so I don't really think about it(drinking) anymore. Normally when I made my chili I would sip/drink on the beer(s) that were 'part of' the recipe.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I used to cook bolognese all the time, you don't have to put red wine in it
I'm a bit of a perfectionist in the kitchen so knowing I could improve it would bother me, so I've swapped it out for a spaghetti and meatballs recipe =)
Old 08-31-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a bit of a perfectionist in the kitchen
Me too

I actually think dishes taste better without alcohol - gives the other flavours a chance to come through.

D
Old 08-31-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Me too

I actually think dishes taste better without alcohol - gives the other flavours a chance to come through.

D
This thread actually made me think and I've decided to play around with a new bolognese recipe. =)

Marcella Hazan has a famous tomato and butter sauce (she's the same chef I got my old ragu recipe from), which is literally just a can of plum tomatoes, an onion chopped in half then discarded at the end, a pinch of salt and sugar. Its the simplest, cheapest thing you can make but its amazing. So I might try that with some mince and see how it works in a lasagna =)

It will be very different, but I think it could work.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm a bit of a perfectionist in the kitchen so knowing I could improve it would bother me, so I've swapped it out for a spaghetti and meatballs recipe =)
I'm gonna start drooling soon lol
Old 08-31-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This thread actually made me think and I've decided to play around with a new bolognese recipe.

Marcella Hazan has a famous tomato and butter sauce (she's the same chef I got my old ragu recipe from), which is literally just a can of plum tomatoes, an onion chopped in half then discarded at the end, a pinch of salt and sugar. Its the simplest, cheapest thing you can make but its amazing. So I might try that with some mince and see how it works in a lasagna =)

It will be very different, but I think it could work.
Try with bacon instead of mince....gives an awesome taste....just try it
Old 08-31-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
Try with bacon instead of mince....gives an awesome taste....just try it
I actually have before. Mixing 2/3 beef mince and one third pork, then topping off with some crispy bacon bits works wonderfully. One trick (and it can be used on a bunch of stuff, I believe Jamie Oliver has a famous chicken recipe using the same technique) is to pour milk into the mince and wait for it to dissolve to soften it up, completely changes the texture. There's a famous Italian pork loin recipe as well which cooks it in milk.

Alcohol is overused in a lot of kitchens, using stuff like milk and even covering things like sausages in olive oil soaked cabbage can have a much more interesting and tasty effect.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I cook all the time. When a recipe calls for wine I simply opt for the non-alcohol version at the grocery shop. My main concern isn't the alcohol in the dish, it's the 3/4 of the bottle that DOESN'T go into the recipe left open that scares me. There are so many good substitutes that if you're worried, you should be able to find an alternate
Old 09-01-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I love to cook but have found ways around the alcohol in a dish. To cook with it, I'd have to buy it and then it would be in my home. WAY too tempting at this point in my 7 months of sobriety. If something were cooked FOR me, say chicken marsala, I'd probably eat it. But the "rum cake" and alcohol infused desserts? Nope. From what I can remember, they reek of alcohol flavor. Again, too much of a trigger. It really comes down to personal accountability, I think.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
have you ever just tried the fondue without wine?? that seems like an option...........

I haven't yet but I intend to try a few different varieties without wine in the coming weeks!

My husband is a chef and he told me that non-alcohol varieties with apple juice can be prepared.
Will put to the test and report back!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't cook with alcohol nor eat foods containing it. To me it's all about the mind games my addicts brain would then start.

Is too tedious to get involved with that.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LeeJane View Post
I don't cook with alcohol nor eat foods containing it. To me it's all about the mind games my addicts brain would then start.

Is too tedious to get involved with that.

Very good point LeeJane.

I feel I would do the same.

I am totally OK with alcohol being in the house (ie: husband's beer, wine bottles) but once I cross the line into cooking with it, and handling the alcohol myself, I'm sure I would justify somehow/some way why one glass would "do no harm".
Old 09-01-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ina123 View Post
I cook all the time. When a recipe calls for wine I simply opt for the non-alcohol version at the grocery shop. My main concern isn't the alcohol in the dish, it's the 3/4 of the bottle that DOESN'T go into the recipe left open that scares me. There are so many good substitutes that if you're worried, you should be able to find an alternate
This sums it up perfectly for me too. A half glass or so in a meal wouldn't bother me but I'd sure well drink the rest of the bottle
Old 09-01-2017, 01:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberBlondie View Post
Very good point LeeJane.

I feel I would do the same.

I am totally OK with alcohol being in the house (ie: husband's beer, wine bottles) but once I cross the line into cooking with it, and handling the alcohol myself, I'm sure I would justify somehow/some way why one glass would "do no harm".
Exactly! Yes, my AH has alcohol here in our home but I view it as HIS so take no notice of it.

Oh we are so good at justifying things!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:37 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I won't have alcohol in food.. it would trigger me.. I always ask the staff at a restaurant whether there is alcohol in a dish too--