Notices

First Day of Sobriety: Enough is enough

Old 08-31-2017, 02:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 6 Sober

Waking up with a clear head and excited to live life. It's like living two completely different lives. Booze=Pain Sobriety= Joy

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
Hornman,

Hi and welcome. So glad to have you join the forum.

Yes, it's all too easy, and very predictable, to start feeling -- once some time passes from the last hangover -- that it wasn't THAT bad.. that it's "too extreme" to quit alcohol entirely. Well, that's a lie the addiction tells us. It was indeed THAT bad, and it absolutely will get worse. Who wants to live in an endless cycle of misery, shame, heartache, recover, then repeat, over and over: the alcoholic drinking treadmill. It isn't a blessing in your life, a "treat" or a "reward" .. it is the opposite: It's robbing you of energy, time, health, money, and the will, strength, imagination and heart to do things for yourself and others that really matter.

Read around here and you'll recognize many similar stories. We get it.

Great job on 5 days!
Old 08-31-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yep, the difference in outlook is pretty amazing after just a little bit of clear-headed sobriety! Congratulations on an excellent decision to quit drinking.

The best thing about this forum is that your early posts never go away. Whenever your mind tells you that things weren't really that awful, you can re-read your original thoughts and feelings, and easily remember how badly you felt. It's hard to argue with your memory when it's written in black and white!

Have a good, sober day; post often, to keep yourself accountable, and to give us a chance to offer support. We love success stories!
Old 08-31-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad things are going well on Day 6, Hornman. You sound so relieved & happy.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Still Sober

One week ago I was suffering with a TERRIBLE hangover. The woman I love and our dog had left the previous night because I was drunk and had become verbally abusive. The pain and sadness I felt the next day was very deep and real. WHY and HOW did this happen??
This is NOT who I want to be.

I committed that late Saturday morning to make a real change and get sober. ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH.

Today, I am feeling like a completely different person.

Last night, I went out with my wife and a friend of ours to check out some friends of ours playing a concert. (I am a musician)

I was somewhat reluctant (and scared) of the idea at first but realized that hiding in the house was not how I wanted to live my life. Sobriety should not mean avoidance.

I even brought my horn and ending up sitting in with the band. Alcohol has been a go- to for me for a long time for playing on stages (stage fright) and socializing, so this was a real challenge.

I am happy to share that I was able to play sober and have fun. We had a great night.

It's going to take some time for me to get better and more graceful at being sober and being sporadic and at peace socializing and performing on stages etc.. but the first steps have been taken. I am blessed to have a good friend who is a fellow horn player and has been sober for 7 years. We are able to talk about performing etc..SOBER.

Thank you friends of this forum for your support. Excited to have another day to live life fully and SOBER.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hornman, I was so happy to read your upbeat & hopeful post.

It's great you have a fellow horn player who understands exactly what you're going through. It does feel strange at first, but gradually we realize we don't need to be numb & foggy to enjoy life. It's wonderful to know we'll never again be out of control & filled with regret.