Notices

How do you ask someone to be your sponsor?

Old 08-24-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you ask someone to be your sponsor?

Hi everyone! I hope you're all well. It's been a few weeks since I checked in due to being on vacation, but I'm back and still sober!

I have 45 days now. I have been going to AA here and there, but I haven't made a strong effort to connect with anyone at the meeting I have been going to. Last night I went to a new meeting (WCD) and I really loved it and I know I'll make it a priority to be there weekly. I got a good feeling from the woman who led the discussion last night and she's been sober for over 7 years so she's not new to the program or anything. I'd really like to ask her to be my sponsor, but I don't know her at all. I'm not generally shy but the idea of asking someone to sponsor me makes me very anxious. I also don't want to put someone else in an uncomfortable position. At the very beginning of the meeting she asked if anyone was available to be a temporary sponsor, but didn't say that she herself was available. I can't say I fully understand the difference/rationale of a temporary sponsor vs. a regular sponsor. Could someone enlighten me?

I'm not in crisis in any way. In fact, I feel optimistic and happy about the decision I've made to stop drinking. I don't know if these feelings are the "pink cloud" I've heard mentioned, but I hope not. I think I will be a relatively low maintenance person to sponsor as my life is stable and I'm not (currently) struggling with any desire to drink. I really want to learn how to work the steps and get the most out of my recovery which is the reason I want a sponsor.

Anyway, how do I approach someone about this? I don't want to make an ass out of myself or put someone on the spot. I'd really appreciate everyone's insight.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sponsors can only be requested via raindance.

=)

You just have to politely ask really. Just take her to one side whenever possible and ask if that is something she'd be comfortable/happy with.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How about "Hi. I really connected with what you shared last meeting, and I feel like it's time for me to start working the steps. I wondered if you would consider sponsoring me?"

It's not a case of putting her out. Taking you through the steps enable her to work her step 12 and keep all those other steps snug in her brainbox. Working with others keeps US sober, not just them.

BB
Old 08-24-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Thanks for asking this question as I am curious how to get a sponsor as well.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
How about "Hi. I really connected with what you shared last meeting, and I feel like it's time for me to start working the steps. I wondered if you would consider sponsoring me?"
perfect!
id say 9 times out of 10 the person is more than happy to sponsor.
in the event they may have to decline (sometimes sponsors have quite a few sponsees) , ask if they know someone that may be able to.