Notices

Day 6 - Can't stop drinking coffee

Old 08-18-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
It's funny....I hate the taste of coffee. Began drinking it in Grad school to keep me awake. It smells good in the grocery aisle and triggers me. I never liked the taste of beer yet, on a hot day I think to myself "I sure could use 'a cold one'. I think that comes from beer commercials imbedded in my head. And I hate the smell of wine and hard liquor (never drank hard liquor) but, when I get anxious I think to myself "I could use a nice calming glass (bottle or two)of wine right now". So, I guess it is not the drink that I am after but, what the chemicals do to my body.
I am learning all about my triggers lately.
Completely agree. And as far as triggers go, man, there isn't much lately that doesn't make me want to have a drink. 7 days today, I'm happy with that. Not sure how long I can do this, but I'm going to try as hard as I can. So forward to looking for a normal life once again.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
It's funny....I hate the taste of coffee. Began drinking it in Grad school to keep me awake. It smells good in the grocery aisle and triggers me. I never liked the taste of beer yet, on a hot day I think to myself "I sure could use 'a cold one'. I think that comes from beer commercials imbedded in my head. And I hate the smell of wine and hard liquor (never drank hard liquor) but, when I get anxious I think to myself "I could use a nice calming glass (bottle or two)of wine right now". So, I guess it is not the drink that I am after but, what the chemicals do to my body.
I am learning all about my triggers lately.
Completely understand exactly what you said. Your brain is a complex thing to say the least. The things you can justify to yourself, and try to verbally say to others, just to get that drug. And by drug I mean alcohol in my case. Now, perhaps caffeine. Regardless I need something to both physically keep myself busy - as in drinking some type of fluid, and also looking for something to keep my brain busy, distracted, so it doesn't think about wanting alcohol - crazy sense of depression setting in right now. I should be happy that I'm on my 8th day, but I just feel depressed.

Seems like everything is a trigger right now.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I remember my first days of sobriety I couldn't touch coffee or caffeine because I found that it increased my withdrawal symptoms. We're all different though and what matters is that we don't drink, so great job!