Notices

Started my moral inventory yesterday

Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Started my moral inventory yesterday

It's going to be quite the laundry list. I didn't know exactly how to go about starting it (as I have yet to find a sponsor), but this helped a lot:

http://www.12step.org/docs/Step4_Inventory.pdf

I hope I'm not breaking any rules in sharing. I found it helpful and hope it can help others as well. I actually look forward to picking my brain about every little event or person I've ever resented and releasing that negativity.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started with the forms. After I finished with my sponsor, we burned my inventory. It was such a cathartic action. None of that gets to take up space in me anymore.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't know exactly how to go about starting it
In case you need additional help Jezzi, or if you didn't already know, there is sub-forum here on SR called Alcoholism 12-Step Support that is dedicated to helping members who are working the 12-Steps. There are a lot of experienced 12-Step adherents there who don't necessarily frequent the Newcomers to Recovery sub-forum. It really is a great resource for anyone starting out with AA and the 12-Steps.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
In case you need additional help Jezzi, or if you didn't already know, there is sub-forum here on SR called Alcoholism 12-Step Support that is dedicated to helping members who are working the 12-Steps. There are a lot of experienced 12-Step adherents there who don't necessarily frequent the Newcomers to Recovery sub-forum. It really is a great resource for anyone starting out with AA and the 12-Steps.
Thanks I'll check it out
Old 08-16-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

good on ya,jezzi!
might sound crazy, but i always get a smile when i hear or read someone starting the 4th step.that has to do with hearing so many times people making it back to the rooms and hearing,"i got to the 4th step and drank."
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds good, Jezzi!

I'm not in AA, but I did a lot of writing out my anger/resentment/guilt over a period of about 12 months. At the end, when I 'knew' I'd finished, I burned it, too. I did not want anyone to come across it accidentally.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

If you want to take the steps as per the clear cut directions in the big book, don't go burning your fourth. You will need it for steps eight and nine. ... directions on the book on step eight.

.. "we have a list of all people we have harmed and to whom we are willing to make amends. We made it when we took inventory." P76

The what's, how's and whys of step eight are in your fourth step, for the most part.

I still have my fourth step. Anyone could read it and it wouldn't hurt a soul. I look at it once in a while to gauge my progress.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
If you want to take the steps as per the clear cut directions in the big book, don't go burning your fourth. You will need it for steps eight and nine. ... directions on the book on step eight.

.. "we have a list of all people we have harmed and to whom we are willing to make amends. We made it when we took inventory." P76

The what's, how's and whys of step eight are in your fourth step, for the most part.

I still have my fourth step. Anyone could read it and it wouldn't hurt a soul. I look at it once in a while to gauge my progress.
good call,mike.

i burned my 4th step after completing all of the steps.
however, it would have been nice to still have it. it would be intersting to look at it and see how nuts i used to be and how far ive come.
"i held a resentment for all them years over THAT!?!?!?!"
Old 08-17-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post

Thanks for the advice. Maybe once I'm finished I'll make copies but burn the original lol