Notices

You don't switch off

Old 08-14-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You don't switch off

So I just briefly spoke to this therapist on a facebook comment that I'm skyping with in thursday.

He made a post about about we feel how we think and I commented with "it's difficult to switch off my negative thinking" and he then said "you don't switch off you switch channels"

Hmm interesting, he might very well be correct in what he's saying but does he understand obsessions with thoughts I wonder!

Food for thought.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post

He made a post about about we feel how we think and I commented with "it's difficult to switch off my negative thinking" and he then said "you don't switch off you switch channels"

Food for thought.
That's a great line and way of looking at things.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nez

Use obsession to your advantage. Every time you have negative thoughts, be obsessive about switching channels rather than obsessing on the negative thoughts. A slight shift in terms of focus.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Task oriented activities help take me out of the jazzzzz which can play in my head. Something to do with my hands is my way of switching channels along with the use of a mantram - which I find highly effective at times, depending on what tune is playing.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
Task oriented activities help take me out of the jazzzzz which can play in my head. Something to do with my hands is my way of switching channels along with the use of a mantram - which I find highly effective at times, depending on what tune is playing.
It's weird but one of the few things that take my mind off situations is watching the news about trump and N Korea.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Your therapist sounds like a wise guy.

There is no absolute silence in our mind - always something going on. Shifting energy (and thoughts are energy) in productive direction is a good trade.

I call it a transitional stage of positive obsession. I can channel all the energy into achieving something. Easier said then done, of course.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Your therapist sounds like a wise guy.

There is no absolute silence in our mind - always something going on. Shifting energy (and thoughts are energy) in productive direction is a good trade.

I call it a transitional stage of positive obsession. I can channel all the energy into achieving something. Easier said then done, of course.
Hmm maybe there's truth to what he's saying.

I can't wait to begin therapy, proper excited!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your therapist is right. Your mind is doing what minds do - spinning thoughts. If you pay attention to the negative, obsessive thoughts, your mind will respond by sending more. If you allow those thoughts to pass through your mind, you can choose to focus on positive thoughts, and your mind will send you more positive thoughts. Remember, your mind is not you.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Your therapist is right. Your mind is doing what minds do - spinning thoughts. If you pay attention to the negative, obsessive thoughts, your mind will respond by sending more. If you allow those thoughts to pass through your mind, you can choose to focus on positive thoughts, and your mind will send you more positive thoughts. Remember, your mind is not you.
One OCD expert on youtube said that when you fight these thoughts and manipulate them (mental compulsions) your brain gets a hit of dopamine which gives it a feel good factor so then it gives you MORE thoughts because it's chasing that feeling.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That piece of information is highly useful for me, too! Thanks!
Old 08-14-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I once thought about having brain surgery to remove my amygdala........I actually laughed at myself for that one haha
Old 08-14-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I obsess. I used to obsess worse when I was an active addict.

I used to get down on myself for obsessing. This was a self licking lolly pop.

Now, I use a tactic I googled.

Obsessing is emotions running wild. My addict mind doing its thing.

The article I read said to solve the problem analytically in my mind. This shuts down the obsession.

For example, I watch Game of Thrones. I am not a huge fan, I don't have the time for that.

Some guy at work was talking about a big GOT party they have every Sunday night.

He said, folks are welcome. He is trying to be nice. I think I would not enjoy myself there anyway. I feel like an outcast. I started to obsess tonight while getting caught up.

I don't hang w my work mates. Never have. Most are very young. There is one old guy that hangs w them, but I think less of him for it.

I decided, I am a loner anyway. I am not that comfortable hanging around a bunch of drinkers Sunday night anyway.

The wolf cares not what the sheep think.

Problem solved.

I do it all the time to keep stuff straight in my mind.

Thanks.