Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What one thing you have adopted / done different thats helps yourself to keep sober?

Notices

What one thing you have adopted / done different thats helps yourself to keep sober?

Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Separating myself from my thoughts. This has helped me by not doing something just because my mind says to do it. If my mind tells me "It'd be great to have a beer right now, just one" I say "thanks for sharing!" and move on.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good going folks really impressive
Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
Separating myself from my thoughts. This has helped me by not doing something just because my mind says to do it. If my mind tells me "It'd be great to have a beer right now, just one" I say "thanks for sharing!" and move on.

Love it!
Old 08-14-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
consistent mindfulness.
Can you share with us what your mindfulness practice looks like?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great thread! I'm not sure what I adopted this time around that helps keep me sober. I need to think on that one...
Old 08-14-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Exactly what aasharon does and consistent mindfulness.

I had almost 18 months sober last time. Right after I hit the 9 month mark I reveled in the fact I was happy, sober, and loving life. I really felt I had it licked. I didn't want anything to do with alcohol. I reduced the meetings I was attending, stopped frequenting SR, and eventually, began to respond to requests from old friends to hang out. Just days shy of 18 months, at the end of October 2014, I went on a work outing in a fully stocked limo and gave in to temptation. Life slowly became the same until May of last year when the next extreme rock bottom happened.

I am now a little over 15 months sober. What I've done different is to stay consistent with meetings and service work. This time, instead of being friends with people at meetings I've become friends with them and do things outside of meetings. I meditate and turn my will over daily. I will never allow myself to ever forget again where just one drink will lead me and fully understand and accept that will always be the truth.

My signature line will never change because it will be true forever.
I had a relapse eerily similar to this, I was 8 months clean at one stage, about 4 years ago now and i too thought I had it all under control, I got a bit cocky with my sobriety. I don't even think I had more than 50 posts on this site, I didn't use it as the great tool that it is. I was working in Berlin and was taken out in a fully loaded limo, got handed a glass of champagne and thought that I could handle one night of drinking, next thing i know I was stumbling around Berlin at 7am in -12 degree weather in just a tshirt not knowing where my hotel was. I didn't make another attempt to quit for another 8 months or so. It's crucial to never let your guard down, I come on SR everyday now, even if it's just to read. I also have my recovery plan in the note section of my phone to always look over if the AV comes calling.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I can also access my plan on my phone in an email folder. I find playing the tape forward very helpful. I'm stronger than my AV and I can't open that door again.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My favorite activity, and one that's good for me in so many ways, is walking my dogs. We usually go for several walks a day, just because we can.

When I was in early recovery and got cravings to drink, I'd walk the dogs instead. They loved all the walks, and I stayed sober. Our dog walks are good for our health, mental and physical.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Live in accordance with the nature of things:
Build your house on solid ground.
Keep your mind still.
When giving, be kind.
When speaking, be truthful.
When ruling, be just.
When working, be one-pointed.
When acting, remember - timing is everything.
Lao Tzu