Notices

Life's ups & downs ~SOBER

Old 08-05-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Life's ups & downs ~SOBER

Life really does throw it's challenges, it seems there isn't a break in sight either.

My dog's dying, possible cancer diagnosis in family, 16 year old going for his license (I'm a total wreck, he's Not ready but they will pass him here), bills piling up because of no medical insurance, I've gained 25 lbs.... Stressed beyond belief...

And my first angry confrontation completely sober, never done it before. Hands shook, sweat profusely, babbled a bit, raged a bit...

I'll get better, lol, just need to do it more. Tired of being walked on I guess.

It's difficult not being able to reach for a quick pick-me-up.
I would love suggestions on how to deal with extreme anger and the BS that life throws at you ...sober?

Things would be Much worse if I was drinking. Happy Sober Saturday everyone.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for staying with us Jessie.
It sounds like a nightmare week, but like you say it would be worse if you weren't sober.
I have no idea how to deal with all this - the only thing I do know is that exercise was my go to when I stopped last time, am planning to get back on track next week to help me deal with life in general.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks tea

I do need to get back to my exercise, I always feel better when I'm moving, and this weight won't budge until I get back to my routine.

I know I need to make some major changes but I can't push myself to do it yet, been doing the same thing since I was 14, lol.

Someday....
Old 08-05-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hi Jessie!
Keep focusing on your sobriety and positives.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Editor

Jessie I feel for you....I found out about a very stressful issue this morning involving my son...In the past I would be sauced by now at 1pm..."trying to relieve my stress." In stead I make myself step back and really evaluate the situation before I blow my top and get myself in a tizzy running for a beer. I know beer will not make the issue go away... it will only make my life miserable and everyone around me...that keeps me sober.
My advice...use your sobriety to use your brain to step back...take some deep breaths and be calm....Especially if you are really Ticked off...Most people do not know how to react to others being calm in a high stress situation...it is empowering. You are in control and no matter what is thrown at you....you can handle it and work through it...Never forget you have this within you.
Just my thoughts and the way I deal with stress sober
D
Old 08-05-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that you've got a lot on your plate atm jessie65 💜

I am finding meditation and breathing exercises helpful in managing stress and anxiety...I am looking at attending a yoga classes tomorrow.

Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 08-05-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, u sound so fed up, im sorry ur feeling like this.
When I've felt pissed off or upset in the past ive always reached for the bottle (like all of us)!! Now ill either read or exercise...its hard to get back into any fitness when u've had a break but if u make urself, u'll feel better, this will also encourage a better diet, in no time at all that weight gain will go & u'll start feeling happier in ur own skin
Old 08-05-2017, 02:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank-you all, I feel a little better just reading all your responses.

lookinforward, I agree, staying calm in a high stress situation is empowering, most of us don't think we have it in us, but we are stronger than we think.
I can be very emotional, and it plays against me (still), but the good news is I'm getting better at just letting it go. I am who I am, I do my best and if it's not good enough, oh well, lol.

I think I'll make it a point to get out super early tomorrow morning and just walk, I love nature at the break of dawn. It's good for the soul.

I just realized that I am 18 months sober today, so there is something good about today.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I take medication to control my anger. But yes, life is still life even when sober. I feel the same way you do, when things go bad, drinking would only make them worse.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done Jessie - 18 months is great
Old 08-05-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jessie

I don't really have any tips except to say when you face life and you take drinking off the table as a viable option, you learn pretty quirk to deal with all kinds of stuff.

I found I was way more capable than I ever thought I was.

It was difficult, of course, at the beginning but it gets easier...and the support here and in other places helped.

I'm really sorry about your dog - thats tough on anyone, alcoholic or not, but drinking would only make things worse, not better.

Be there for your dog the way he's always been there for you

D