Notices

Need an exit plan

Old 08-05-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need an exit plan

Ugh.

So, I'm seriously physically addicted. I'm 8-10 a day with a fifth a day at times. I just did a day sober and the withdrawal left me taking some today to keep safe (not drunk, safe).

I need to figure a way out of this hell. Everybody just says go to rehab. That is great if you can do it. I can't. I have a mother I support, a husband in school (my job pays for it and I have no sick leave remaining) he lost his job and we are broke beyond my paycheck. My kid goes to school on my job. We simply can't afford it. I am able to go to work right now though I feel like hell most of the time.

Where is the plan for people in my condition? I don't understand. I've seen a therapist for this, and all she says is 30 day rehab which we can't support or we're all on the streets. I'm just frustrated right now.

Anyway, this is where I am. Still trying desperately to get this damn devil off my back.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And by safe, I don't mean "safe," I mean, not being hospitalized by DT's, that's all.

Originally Posted by Sobertaurus View Post
Ugh.

So, I'm seriously physically addicted. I'm 8-10 a day with a fifth a day at times. I just did a day sober and the withdrawal left me taking some today to keep safe (not drunk, safe).

I need to figure a way out of this hell. Everybody just says go to rehab. That is great if you can do it. I can't. I have a mother I support, a husband in school (my job pays for it and I have no sick leave remaining) he lost his job and we are broke beyond my paycheck. My kid goes to school on my job. We simply can't afford it. I am able to go to work right now though I feel like hell most of the time.

Where is the plan for people in my condition? I don't understand. I've seen a therapist for this, and all she says is 30 day rehab which we can't support or we're all on the streets. I'm just frustrated right now.

Anyway, this is where I am. Still trying desperately to get this damn devil off my back.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess what I'm asking, is, did anyone else get out of this craziness when they were in a similar condition, and (if so), how?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Perhaps try smartrecovery.org online good luck
Old 08-05-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sober - is there an outpatient way to do this?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I appreciate this. Their book is available via kindle unlimited and I am going to read it. Also looking into their online meetings.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobertaurus View Post
I guess what I'm asking, is, did anyone else get out of this craziness when they were in a similar condition, and (if so), how?
I got myself out of a serious bender by tapering. Twice. It is not recommended very highly on this forum, but if you can discipline yourself you can get through the worst of it. I tapered over two days. I put a priority on food when your in this condition. I'm sure eating might be the last thing you want to do, but your body needs nutrition. I know you are not considering treatment, but it might just save you. Wish you the best.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is what I've been working on. Strangely enough, I've been doing weight watchers points, and while that hasn't been really effective, I've been diligent on at least tracking my drinking to figure out how much I'm actually taking in. (before I had a hard time figuring this out without looking at bottles) So, I've been trying to cut back each day. But, I get lower and lower but have a binge day it seems. Still, I've only been trying to do this for 3-4 days, so I'm only starting. I only had one binge day.

The thing is that cognitively I've gotten past wanting alcohol in my day to day life. I'm okay with doing without it, in my mind (which was a bit mental hurdle for me). Right now I just want to get the crap out of my life for good. I HATE the fact that I have something clinging to me that makes me unable to function without it. Even when I was tapering I had to take one shot to work in a tiny bottle and take a half shot if I had a panic attack usually morning and afternoon. It has been miserable.

Previously, I never drank at work, and I wasn't drinking to get drunk, I was just managing WD symptoms while tapering (and frankly the amount I had was in a 1 oz container for the whole day) but this whole darn thing SUCKS.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teaorcoffee View Post
Sober - is there an outpatient way to do this?
Not with my dr. who won't give any anti-anxiety pills to anyone who has a drinking problem to begin with, unfortunately. She says it is not allowed.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The "right" answer is to go to detox, but that doesn't sound like an option for you.

At the end of my drinking days I was heavily physically addicted and drank about a 5th a day of vodka. It was hard, but I tapered over a weeks time. It takes a lot of discipline and support, and a strict schedule. I had a lot of checks in place to keep me from drinking more than my taper schedule allowed. It was a really uncomfortable week to say the least.

After you get off the sauce is when the real work starts. A lot of people here don't encourage the use of Antabuse, but for me it's been an awesome tool to help get some sober time under my belt (5+ weeks and counting). I also attend various recovery groups, see a councillor, and spend time reading here.

It's hard work , but in hindsight it easier than dealing with all of the pain and craziness drinking causes.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Can you do a detox over the weekend? Maybe take one day off? Fri - mon?

I just found that detoxing in the hospital was much more comfortable and they monitor everything and take care of you.

You're in a really tough situation but don't give up.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi ST. I found this site to be very interesting but went on a terrible bender and ended up in ER after having some success in tapering off. HAMS: Harm Reduction for Alcohol I believe that maybe some people can taper off and this gives guidance on how to do it. Lot of good info on there. I can't say it works - it didn't for me - but seems to have for some people. Could you possibly get into a 3-5 day detox (few days off wout pay?) and then go to AA? That's what is working for me this time (so far) I DON'T understand doctors that say that by the way. Those meds help prevent seizures! And wd from them won't kill you like alcohol! Not getting up on my soapbox! I wish you the best and totally understand the position you are in. Very similar to what I was in including the amounts / taking care of Mom / etc.....
Old 08-05-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
p***enger

I agree with others that a 3-day hospital detox is ideal. That said, people withdraw at home. If a person is with others who know what's going on and the dangers and can get them to a hospital immediately.... Safety is a matter of degree. Continued drinking sure isn't safe. Tapering for me was sipping my way slowing through a bottle instead of knocking 'em back.

Have you completely detoxed before? They say it gets harder on the body every time, and with age, so that's something to consider.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back ST

If rehab is out for you, then what about things like AA or other meeting based recovery groups.

As for your Dr it would still be good to get checked out and your vitals checked. I'm sure if you need meds you'd get them.

On the other hand, if you feel that your Dr does not adequately understand addiction in general, or your case particularly it makes sense to get a second opinion.

Post and read here too - as you know, this is a great community and source of wisdom

D
Old 08-06-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm afraid I assumed for no reason at all that you'd tried things like AA and committed work on these forums or some other support group for quitting alcohol. If not, I agree with Dee that you should start there.

Also, it doesn't look like you've seen a medical doctor. You should definitely do that, and with honesty. It's not that bad once you start

I'm sorry I didn't read your post as carefully as I should have done.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tapering is possible if you have the discipline to do it, and is the preferred method of detox in many countries. You can give that a go but if it isn't working, then some other options may be to go to an urgent/convenient care and let them know you plan on doing a home detox, they should be able to provide you the meds needed if your primary care won't.
Though after the detox is where you need to really have the rubber hit the road with possibly attending AA every day, an outpatient rehab, SMART, or find another therapist that specializes in addiction.