Notices

All Inclusive Countdown: 2 months sober

Old 07-09-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love this group. Thank you for all the advice. This is very motivating for me. I will return during vacation. I'm a nurse and last night I was researching the science of relapse. It was really helpful to me. Apparently our bodies do something called "kindling" where each subsequent relapse is physically and emotionally worse. I keep thinking about when I went into medical detox for 4 days hospital and 3 weeks at home of hell. I missed work and nearly lost my job. It was just the sickest I've been (aside from the worst hangovers). I cannot afford to go through that again. Again I don't plan on drinking but I love reading this type of info to keep my kind stocked with tools.

Snorkeling sounds fun but scary. Are there big sharks there? Lol.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I did an all inclusive at 30 days sober. There was one moment where things could have gone awry when I ordered a virgin cocktail that was no virgin so be careful ordering those. Best to stick to what you know won't have alcohol when you're ordering from servers who's native language isn't English.

Otherwise I avoided hanging around the bars with other drinkers and instead went to the beach. We went on a lot of day excursions which were a lot of fun. We went to bed early which was better because then we were up early to enjoy day time activities. I ate whatever I wanted! No calorie counting, which was fine with me since I wasn't consuming all those empty calories from alcohol.

Most of all I trusted myself that I could do it and still have a good time! It will only be as hard as you make it for yourself. Try not to let your mind focus only on what you perceive as you missing out because you've chosen not to drink. It's a good thing that you won't be spending your whole vacation obsessed about what your next drink will be. You'll be freed up to take advantage of a all kinds of other experiences, and you'll remember them all!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You sound determined, jellybean. Just stay focused on the thought that any idea of drinking being "glamorous" and "fun" is just a brain trick. It doesn't mean either of those things, it means embarassment, regret, wasted time, feeling sick, waking up in a beautiful place feeling horrible, disappointing yourself and your husband. Drinking in an airport bar is not elegant or glamorous. Think of how much more you will appreciate being clearheaded, healthy, not-hungover, fully engaged, aware and energetic! You'll be in a beautiful place.. take advantage of every morning. Getting home to your children without regrets!

I went to an all inclusive once, and didn't drink. It was easier than I'd expected. Every other kind of food and drink is unlimited too, so just have that instead. (If it helps, I think the wine at those places is pretty awful anyway. You don't get to choose the kind.)

I'm at about two months too and I know how awful it would be to have to start over. You can do it.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful and sober vacation and congratulations! The first thing I thought of when I read your OP was, "11 years?" "What a wonderful vacation and opportunity for your marriage."

The recovering-alcoholic part of me thought, "Just one drink and all that would be destroyed."

Grimm, I know, but "tragic" was the operative word in your thoughts.