Notices

Fridays are tough!

Old 07-07-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fridays are tough!

I've always loved Fridays. It seems like the world is at my feet. I have the rest of Friday and two whole days to enjoy without work! If I was to graph my drinking by days of the week, Fridays would definitely be the most common day for me to drink. I don't want to be drunk, but I am struggling with the desire to drink today.

I know I will be so happy when it's time to run tomorrow morning, but it's calling me now.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

find a hobbie something else you love! it takes a while for that craving to go away but there's always meetings and other things to do
Old 07-07-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you got something else planned to do? Anything at all, especially something physical can really help, a walk or some yoga even anything you like. The weekends can be really really tough if that's been your drinking time and I've found it helps the most to keep as busy as possible. Yep waking up Saturday, Sunday and especially Monday morning sober are some of the best feelings ever

Peace X
Old 07-07-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep! Had that feeling!

In the beginning they used to suck as the one day I considered I had earned my 2-3 bottles of wine ..the other 6 days I had a excuse but fridays was always the legit one in my soggy head!

Friday evenings are now for planning what fun awesome things I'm going to do at the weekend ! :-)

Just plotted my bike route for tomorrow morning - plan something fun and rewarding for yourself , it be 1000 times better feeling good and not hungover I promise !
Old 07-07-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fridays were always my hardest day too. I used to watch Netflix religiously on Friday nights. It kept my mind focused on what I was watching and before I knew it, it was time to go to bed. Another thing I would do is plot out a route that I would go running/walking on Saturday morning. Going to the movies, to the gym or getting a massage are some other suggestions.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For now, I allow myself to eat whatever I want when I get a craving. Usually eating makes me crave alcohol a lot less or not at all anyway.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Staying busy is key! I picked up a new hobby cooking & baking. I love going to the gym too. I seen you posted in the weekender thread! that will defiantly help out too!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Apple, how did you do today? Friday's are rough early on - but we grow stronger.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Make some new Friday traditions

D
Old 07-07-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement! Luckily, I have many hobbies to entertain myself. I just have to get used to doing them on Friday nights. My boyfriend and I went for a hike before dinner. I made a special tonic and orange juice drink that I saw in another thread and enjoyed a drink on the deck just like I used to, but without the alcohol. After dinner was no problem.

I can now see that it's really just the first few hours after work on Friday that are really tough so from now on, I will plan something for that time. It was a good choice today to come here when I was struggling and I will definitely use that in the future too.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with Rainyengland...I felt Fridays gave me the go ahead to really go for it and get truly blitzed. What a treat, right?
Exactly why I went to 4 meetings today.
I need not isolate, nor be too in my head.
It's good for me to be here reading or surround myself with people who *get it and want to help me get it too.
J
Old 07-07-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by applewakesup View Post
I don't want to be drunk, but I am struggling with the desire to drink today.

I know I will be so happy when it's time to run tomorrow morning, but it's calling me now.
Dwtbd, don't want to be drunk, so yeah me too , I picked it as my screen name to make myself think about when logging in , and now instead of an imperative , it's a declarative statement.
Assign the struggling to the Beast struggling and being frustrated that You have decided to not act on ITs desire, and let IT struggle.

You don't want to be drunk, yeah? So the desire is IT, not you, yeah?
Rootin for ya
Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm planning a run in the morning! I just collected up my running shoes and clothes for an early morning moment. I like going before it gets hot, which is very hard to do hungover. Yeah for sobriety!!

Saturday's were my permission day. I still plan the weekends out so I'm busy and distracted all day each day.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Going for a hike, and your tonic drink sounds like it was a great way to spend your Friday night. In the beginning, Fridays were my toughest days as well, now they just seem like the end to the work week, and the opportunirty to do something and not worry about getting up early the next day.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There is a small window of time where the thoughts seem to hit and then they are gone.

I'm consuming massive quantities of sparkling water with fruit lately. I wake up ready for my HIIT on Saturdays with my frame of mind in tact and very sober.

To another sober weekend!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Kudos! Stopping our old routines is really hard to do