Notices

Best part of the day

Old 06-29-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Best part of the day

Sober Mornings!

I used to loath the morning... Especially when I'd have sleepless nights and panic attacks at 2:30 AM and lay awake for hours (beating myself up). Thinking that I was killing myself slowly with the bottle... (which was true).

What's the best part of your day?
Old 06-29-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I too love the morning. The early mornings....sober! The nicest people are the early risers and the earth feels so fresh at sunrise.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you MR

D
Old 06-29-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank You Midnight Rider!

Mornings are Soooo... Radically New and Transformed from the 'waking nightmare of facing another day' they used to be.

Then, throughout the day, when those 'Hounds From Hell' attack (inside me and from outside me) ... I have 'The Pause' Tool ... When agitated, in any way and from any source, I can Pause, and look inside to examine what I am doing to Manufacture the Misery, or Insanity, or Turmoil, or Escalation of a Conflict, or ... then I can use the many 'Tools' I have been given to 'let it go', and focus or meditate on what I can do to insist on being Happy, Joyous and FREE.

RDBplus3

To:
Old 06-29-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

/\ /\ /\

RDB >>Great Post !
Old 06-29-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sure on this one. I LOVE sober mornings, but I also LOVE that last sober hour of rest and relaxation before going to bed at night.
The more I think about it, the more I think the mornings are where it's at. Waking up sober, refreshed, excited to start the day. Not having laid awake, tossing and turning since 2:00 a.m. with the anxiety and sense of doom. Not obsessing over whether or not I should go to work the next day-I always ended up calling in sick and would then spend all day in bed, ruminating on what my colleagues were thinking.

Ya, the mornings have it!
Old 06-29-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a morning person, so mornings are wonderful. But I've also developed an appreciation for hitting the hay after a mentally or physically exhausting day. My head hits the pillow and shortly after its lights out.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is so true! I have always been a night owl, but drinking made it even worse. Mornings were torture. Now, I wake up actually feeling GOOD and can get up early if I have to without being miserable. It's a revelation! I also get so much more done.
Way to go, MR!
Old 06-29-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love waking up sober and feeling good. But my favorite part of the day is when I walk my dogs. When I was drinking, my dogs didn't get the walks they needed cause I was either too drunk or too sick. Now I'm in good shape all day long and they get the walks they need.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to loathe early mornings. Constantly hitting the snooze button and running on automatic as I used to call it due to the brain fog/headaches/sore stomach combo.

But now, I love them. I love getting up, getting a shower, a cooked breakfast, a walk with my dog. I love the feel of a nice walk feeling fresh after the shower and taking time to just enjoy the walk. Sometimes there's a beautiful sky, the sunrise or sometimes it's a breeze with the beginning of rain coming along. Also enjoying the lack of feeling crap. I'm not missing the regrets of over drinking and over-eating.
Every morning I wake up, I feel so much better and whenever the AV starts up, I hold onto knowing that I want to keep my mornings :-)
Old 06-29-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to love mornings and I am a morning person too. Although lately I have struggled off and on with the dragging myself out of bed and I'm often racked with headaches that rival a really bad hangover, so the first hour of the day is often a struggle. But I love the peacefulness of the early morning, especially if it is sunny.

But now my favorite part of the day is right before bed. It's my ME time. I watch a bit of netflix in bed, do some reflecting, I put my nighttime meditation music on (I don't know what else to call it) and meditate myself to sleep.

Ooh, and nap time. I love nap time. I don't love waking up from nap time though.

And when kids go home at the end of the day. Big sigh of relief there.

Shower time.

Coffee time.

Tuck my baby in to bed time.

Check stuff off my to-do list time.

I don't know if I can have a favorite time. I guess any day that I can string together a bunch of sober hours and go to sleep sober is a good daytime for me.
It took a long time to get there though! And never is a whole day perfect. Some times though it's just that extra special kind of awesome day because I soak up the wonder of it by being sober and present.

No, I change my mind. Sleep. lol
Old 06-29-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love mornings now! I feel so proud instead of a feeling of dread and anxiety! But I do also love that last bit right before bed that I reserve for reading and being cozy in bed.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mornings for me are now the best part of the day , I used to hate them I practically had fall out of bed I felt that bad , now I can get up feeling great and enjoy it.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mornings are still really hard for me. I feel much better as soon as I leave work. Unless it's the weekend the morning is pretty dreadful. I spend all day working in a bar so alcohol is in my face no matter what. I'm getting better at it but it's going to take some time before I can feel normal here. Now it gives me a headache, it's just exhausting.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Those horrible hungover mornings - or worse yet, still buzzed. That was supposed to be fun? What were we thinking?!

Thanks for a thought provoking post, MR.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My favourite part of the day is the hour I spend in bed before turning out the light and putting on my audio book. I read around and post on SR...I message/email people back who have sent me messages during the day...I complete my daily gratitude list...and generally reflect on the day; what went well, what lessons can I learn etc...I also read my sobriety vision statement and goals and look at my electronic vision board on my phone. Didn't realise I had such an extensive bedtime routine till I wrote it all down 😊 x
Old 06-29-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
Mornings are still really hard for me. I feel much better as soon as I leave work. Unless it's the weekend the morning is pretty dreadful. I spend all day working in a bar so alcohol is in my face no matter what. I'm getting better at it but it's going to take some time before I can feel normal here. Now it gives me a headache, it's just exhausting.
Sorry for this, tekink. That must be rough to work around alcohol all the time. Good for you for staying the course.