Notices

How it was like when you were a kid?

Old 06-28-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I also look back at my childhood remembering how I used to wake up raring to go. Then I started drinking and smoking and in 30 years I can't remember one time I woke up feeling like that child.

I'm still early in recovery, but starting the day is already getting easier and easier.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
I consider my youth to have been pretty carefree - then it got worse around 13 years old. That is when I really started to feel uncomfortable and sought solutions - drink n smoke.

I don't hold resentments against my parents - I have processed those; but they were indeed both alcoholics. This meant isolation and everyone doing their own thing. I could never understand how my parents (at times) could be so mad at night only to wake up as if nothing happened. All was once again swept under the rug. This only became painful in sobriety as I examined it. I have a lot of gratitude for being shown how to deal with all this ick today.

Alcoholism takes hostages - I was one and took others. All have been released without paying anymore ransom. The cycle has been broken, hopefully.

I appreciate your thread - thanks
Thanks Bunny. Reading this was just what I needed today. There is so much wisdom in these forums. Every day I walk away with something useful or inspiring. I lived the same childhood.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
Thanks Bunny. Reading this was just what I needed today. There is so much wisdom in these forums. Every day I walk away with something useful or inspiring. I lived the same childhood.
OOPS. Mean to say Fly n Buy, but I am sure there is a wise Bunny on this board as well.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ah childhood. A few happy/carefree memories but most tinged with the way having an alcoholic father affected me/things.

A father that seemed to love drink more than us - and even among us 4 children had an order that he loved us with me at the bottom.

I'm 49 years old and sitting here crying for the childhood I wish I had had.

I need to pull myself together PDQ as I have to get ready for work!