Notices

Going to bed sober

Old 06-22-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to bed sober

Hi all. I have been here on and off for a while now, sometimes doing well, sometimes not so.
Lately I seem to have a good handle on this insiduous disease and just wanted to share my new experience of something that others take for granted on a daily basis.
I choose what time to go to bed rather than waking up in the early hours after passing out on the couch and stumbling in to bed hoping no one else has noticed. Most mornings I wont even remember what time that was anyway.
I spend time brushing my teeth an gargling with mouthwash rather than falling in to bed with smelly wine breath and a horrible boozey film coating on my teeth. That was a horrible feeling every morning.
I go to bed now and think about my day, often planning for the future and if I cant fall straight to sleep thats ok, no panicky beating heart, just a lovely calm knowledge that I will eventually.
If I wake during the night its just a natural sleep interuption. I have a glass of water and fall back asleep, instead of laying there worrying about what I said, did, txtd the night before, usually in black out.
In the morning I wake to hear the birds singing, I get up without struggling or dreading those last night thoughts from crashing in.
I start my day by making my bed and always looking forward to the evening when I will be GOING TO BED SOBER.
Hope you are all doing ok today.
SB
Old 06-22-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

that's amazing. I am so grateful for that too.

I haven't had one of those waking up at three am with THE DREAD for a year. I never have to have one again. There's a lot about where I am that is hard, but THAT fact is amazing and makes me happy.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job, SummerBee! So much freedom with sobriety!
Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

SummerBee, this is really a great post. It's the small things, and the not so small things that come together to make each day a gift.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had the hardest time sleeping a month or so into my new sobriety. After a couple months of that, it's been all good. I look forward to sleep at the end of the day now.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great isn't it Summerbee? I absolutely love putting my head on the pillow sober each night and waking up to a new day free of crippling anxiety and fear. Long may it continue!!!! Thanks for the post a lovely reminder of the beauty of the simple things ❤❤❤
Old 06-22-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post, Bee. As well as all the beauty and benifits of sobriety, I like that you allude to something else important; having a daily, sober, routine! Brush your teeth, make your bed, etc. When we are drinking, we forget and/or don't care about those things. It's important in our sober lives that we have those routines and take pride in ourselves for being clean, tidy, and responsible. It's sounds minor, but I take pride now in my bed being made, apartment tidy, and I am showered and shaved by 8:00AM every morning.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm with you SummerBee...I think my favourite time of the day is the time I spend in bed before going to sleep where I reflect on the day, complete my daily gratitude list here on SR, read and post on SR before playing an audio book on my phone which I will fall asleep to.

Sweet dreams all x
Old 06-22-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Right?!?! So many night's falling asleep on the couch. Letting my teeth rot from not brushing. Taking pills for the headaches. Letting my kids see me sprawled out with my mouth wide open with glass in hand. Ugh!!! Now I have a nightly routine of showering, brushing teeth, flossing, gargling, skin cream, drying my hair, picking out the next day clothes, making sure the house is tidy. Heck even my bills are all up to date because before I didn't give a crap if I paid them! Now my credit is better!! It sounds so mundane but it's wonderful! I fall asleep feeling (and smelling) so good!!!
Old 06-22-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love turning the bedside lamp off and going to bed. Not waking up in the middle of the night with it on, having passed out.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How about some of those nice big pillows?
I love poufty.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm on day 6 so I'm not entirely having the smooth transition of falling asleep straight away. Sometimes my head hits the pillow and my brain is just awake but it's normally going over what I plan for tomorrow and the positives of today which is a lot better than blacking out and waking up on the couch or waking up with the headache or acid reflux.
I'm finding early mornings to be so much better. Even if I had one bottle of wine (not the usual 2-3) I'd still just keep hitting snooze.
Everyday this week I've been up at 6, getting stuff ready for work, walking the dog and writing in my diary. I feel so much better and looking forward to my first sober weekend:-)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Normal sleep is one of my favorite benefits of sobriety!
Old 06-23-2017, 04:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is awesome to go to bed, to sleep sober.

I was thinking yesterday morning about
a topic on beds.

There is nothing so wonderful than having
fresh new everything on your sober bed.

It doesnt mean you have to have new
mattresses if you cant afford them at
that moment, but to go to your local
Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond
store to pick out new sheets, comforter,
whatever have you for your own sober
bed.

For us, we don't have new mattresses