Notices

Supplements/ Liver Detox/healing your body after abuse.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Supplements/ Liver Detox/healing your body after abuse.

I was wondering if anyone has any information or advice on how to get your body recovered after alcohol abuse. Im mainly looking for information on supplements /medicine/other things that can be used for detoxing the liver and fixing blood sugar regulation. Also any advice, tricks or experiences that any one has that worked for them not only to heal the body and liver but also to help with cravings etc. Thanks so much!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Mandosca,

I know how you feel. When we get so tired it all that we feel a sense of urgency to health the mind, body and spirit.

This is one thing that takes time. There are no valid supplements or treatments.

What does work is not drinking. And eating nutritiously -- getting lots of vegetables and fruit. Try to avoid processed foods. In general, the body returns to wellness, but organ-specific health is a topic best discussed with a doctor.

It's good to have you here. Welcome to sobriety and recovery.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've always drank this to clean out my liver
4 -5 Celery Stalks
1 Cup of Parsley
1/2 Cup of Lemon Juice

Blend(puree) till its all mush then add about 4 cups cold water and blend again.
Drink once or twice a day for three days.
Don't recall where I got the recipe, been doing it for years. I hope this wasn't considered "medical advice" as that is a no no on here
Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar (the mother) in warm water first thing in the morning followed by a tablespoon of a good liver tonic (find at health food store).
Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always a good idea to check with your Dr before starting supplements - especially if f you're on any meds or have any outstanding health issues.

Old guy alert...but I'm one of those folks who believe detox takes as long as it takes - there's no reputable way to somehow speed that process up.

My Dr told me the livers job is to detox - eating well, keeping hydrated, a little light exercise and getting enough rest should give your liver all it needs to do its job...adding too many supplements may actually delay that detox process.

D
Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

I sometimes enjoy lemon in warm water in the morning. google it.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The most important thing you can do is not drink.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not drinking, obviously. Lemon water in the morning is great as well. There are a lot of various supplements that claim to detox the liver, even detox teas but it is really important that you talk to a doctor about them because mixing things up can actually do more harm than good.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To be honest.
Eat healthy and drink water. But that's just good for you in general. It's not like there's a magic liver diet.

Specifically DON'T DRINK because of the way alcohol is metabolized. It's like putting a match to your liver with every gulp.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For the first 3 months I did Braggs vinegar in water daily; roasted dandelion tea and milk thistle supplements. I say 3 months because it got OLD. I recently had labs and all turned out well. I don't know if this stuff helped or not.
Now I just drink lots of water with lemon. I hated water before I quit drinking but I crave it now. It really helps cut down on cravings.
Good luck!
Old 06-21-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One of the most recommended supplements is LIV52.

I used to use them regularly for bodybuilding and have used them quite recently.

If you do a search on a well known trading site commonly known as 'the bay' you can pick them up relatively cheaply.

Last edited by Dee74; 06-21-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KES06 View Post
For the first 3 months I did Braggs vinegar in water daily; roasted dandelion tea and milk thistle supplements. I say 3 months because it got OLD. I recently had labs and all turned out well. I don't know if this stuff helped or not.
Now I just drink lots of water with lemon. I hated water before I quit drinking but I crave it now. It really helps cut down on cravings.
Good luck!
Fantastic combination to heal the liver.. I am studying naturopathy and herbal medicine and 2 powerful plants for the liver are milk thistle and dandelion root.. lemon is great to help kick start the liver for digestion as well as the Apple cider vinegar..
Old 06-21-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Check with your dr before you start supplements. Milk thistle has a pretty long believed benefit in healing the liver. It is used by vets as well for dogs (not sure why that means anything ).

Alcohol is a toxin. A carcinogen. Liver uses certain micronutrients (like B1 for example) to process the alcohol. It is common for alcoholics to be low B1, magnesium, B12, Folate, Iron etc. A good blood work up that is focused on the micronutrients that alcoholics are typically low in (honesty with your dr is required) will reveal imbalances.

I know that the longer a drank, the more I relapsed, the longer the recovery. Logic. When I eat right, whole foods, no processed crap, sleep and exercise things get much better after 60 days.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I throw some milk thistle in my smoothie. It was recommended to me by a naturopath. But I also cleared it with my primary Dr, who wasn't concerned about it.

I also try and follow a hypoglycemic diet, to not freak out the liver and pancreas insulin thing.

Detox is one thing. But if you have been diagnosed with Hepatic liver or any stage cirrhosis, there are specific diets for that. Talk to a Dr or a dietitian (sp?).
Old 06-21-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

Please remember to share your personal experience only.

Recommendations, even with over the counter medications, are medical advice.

Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals.
Brand names should be avoided where possible please, to conform with our no advertising rule.

Dee
SR
Old 06-21-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I was considering the dandelion, milk thistle etc but just wanted to see if anyone had personal experiences with it.

I do eat very healthy for the most part. I eat a whole foods diet, lots of fruits and veggies, no processed foods.. Well until I would get the late night drunken munchies that is..ugh.. I will continue to do the whole foods and try to eat even cleaner. I am also going to try to up my lemon and vinegar consumption. I too am very much into holistic healing and naturopathic medicine and love to hear what other people have tried.

Also, thanks for all the warnings about going to the Dr. I do know how important that is, while I am not a Dr I am in nursing and realize that even "natural" rememdies can be detrimental to ones health.

Oh and sorry Dee if I started a conversation that's kind of a no-no.. :-) I was going to post in the "health" section but it doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic.. :-)

Thanks again everyone. Love hearing about your experiences.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so glad to see this post. I take tons of supplements per my amazing dr who looks at the cause of problems and doesn't just throw the latest drug at a problem.
I had been self medicating with alcohol for my anxiety. Another Dr put me on an antidepressant which made my anxiety so bad that I couldn't function or even leave the house, I weened my self off that drug and started self medicating with beer...long story short I found a new dr..alcohol causes so many problems for your body. My biggest issue is high cortisol, stress hormone which causes a feeling of sheer panic...alcohol briefly takes that feeling away, I sleep, I wake up, again sheer panic. Alcohol abuse raises your cortisol and unfortunately so does withdrawal. I am on day 3 of not drinking and I am so glad I have all my supplents..some have an immediate calming effect, and others are just a part of the process to heal your various systems in your body. Some where recommended by my dr, some just through tons and tons of research.. knowing that I'm making this commitment to heal the damage I have done to my body is very motivating for me.
You can message me if you want to chat about it
Old 06-21-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Captain Kitty - I'm glad supplements are working well for you.

No need to go off board to share your experience tho

D
Old 06-21-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh ok. I must have misread not to give specific information of any thing medical related.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6506261

Anyone can share their experience/what worked for them - unless they were using meds in a risky or illegal way or something.

What we can't do is give medicinal or treatment recommendations for other members, and that includes by Private Message (PM)

D