Notices

Man...

Old 06-17-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Man...

Almost made it to 8 months sober and got trashed last night. I'm so pissed at myself! Went to a meeting this morning and was thankful that I didn't have to title this post with "just got out of jail" as I've done in the past... This thing is really "baffling,cunning,ect.." whatever it is? But...back to day 1....damn it!
Old 06-17-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just begin again, DR.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
I think this says a lot.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back...glad you are getting back to what works. Were you still working a program prior to the drinking?
Old 06-17-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Just begin again, DR.
Yep.."That's all you can do, is start over and keep coming back", as an 'old timer' told me this morning. I would like to place 'blame' on stress but, I can't.. I'm just addicted to booze and I know that..Damn self hate/shame whatever..I have everything in the world and when I drink I break it down to nothing. I didn't have a good time...what's the point,at this point in drinking like that? Insanity; should have my photo by it in the dictionary.
I'm back though and not worried about withdraw or anything..Just a slip that should never happen again.. I will say that this mornings hangover was probably one of the worst I've ever had,minus the jail day(s)..
Old 06-17-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back...glad you are getting back to what works. Were you still working a program prior to the drinking?
I had slacked off and don't want to make excuses.. Grandmother,whom I help care for, had a fatal heart attack, I was helping my buddy move and his wife had her friends over,who brought drinks and I woke up this morning with 2 girls in my bed..Don't remember anything past 7pm.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to hear your getting right back at it. I agree with you on what even one night of drinking does. Its like a punch in the face and a kick in the gut at the same time. All for nothing. Support to you.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

work the steps and this will happen:
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

a very imortant part of the bb,imo, follows:

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
work the steps and this will happen:
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

a very imortant part of the bb,imo, follows:

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into all of our activities. "How can I best serve Thee - Thy will (not mine) be done." These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. It is the proper use of the will.
Ironically..The last part you put is what the 'old timer' read to me after the meting. They all know that I'm not spiritual and still accept me,which I love them for. They were happy to see me and very understanding of my plight. It had been a while and I need to go more often. I consider it my 'church'.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

DR - You'll be more determined now. Glad it didn't turn into a long binge (like it would have for me).
Old 06-17-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
DR - You'll be more determined now. Glad it didn't turn into a long binge (like it would have for me).
Thanks! yeah...I would normally just say "F it!" and have a breakfast of vodka. I know where that leads. My buddy just left and I'm told I slept with both girls and almost pissed in his closet. Good times? NO!
Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

DR, I'm sorry for what happened. It's understandable that you got busy because that happens in life. Even when you are very busy, maybe you can make some time to read something uplifting, talk to a sober friend on the phone, listen to a song or two that relax you and help you to feel peace within yourself. I'm so glad you're back.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
DR, I'm sorry for what happened. It's understandable that you got busy because that happens in life. Even when you are very busy, maybe you can make some time to read something uplifting, talk to a sober friend on the phone, listen to a song or two that relax you and help you to feel peace within yourself. I'm so glad you're back.
Yeah... I had gotten complacent(cocky) about my issue. I'm going to go to my meetings daily for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Draw a line under it and keep moving forward.

Change up your plan and make Sobriety happen, you can do it!!
Old 06-18-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss DR, but I'm glad you made it back.

D
Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So, I'll start off with;I'm not religious by any means and was court ordered to attend AA.. I had this past 'one night slip'.. Then last night was a freaking nightmare with my drunk ex(whom I blocked now), I was sober and handled it well.. Anyways.. I was sitting here working from home(when I could/would always drink freely) today, and really was thinking why not? My phone rang.. I don't normally answer unknown numbers but, i did.. It was a guy who got my number from a meeting I only went to 1 time! He was checking on me... I'm sitting here astonished that a complete stranger would call and check on me...Brought a smile to my face and tears after I hung up...Just thought I'd share...hope everyone is well and for the newcomers...people do care/know about the struggle with this "thing". Hang in there!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
looking for help

DR bro I almost had a year two a couple years ago and relapsed and been trying to quit ever since. All we can do is keep at it sucks you relapsed but good can come out of it. You got this playa!!!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

DR,AA isnt religious, either.
if it was, it would be hard to determine which religion it is, especially at a meeting with a buddhist, christain, jew, catholic, hindu, muslim, athiest.....

it is a spiritual thing,though.
and reads like ya experienced that with the phone call.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well I made it through the rest of the weekend(two day hangover included)..Forced myself to go to a bday pool party on Sun where drinking by 'normies' was involved.. I had water/tea and left early. No real withdraw symptoms thankfully. I'm sure that would have been different had I continued to drink more than the one night. Sleeps been a bit off but, I never sleep that well anyway(4-5hrs/night) and function just fine. I'm also able to nap whenever I want. Decided I'm going to surprise my mom with a "new to her" car today. She's always been there for me and she deserves it. Not that her car now is bad at all but, this one is better and newer. It's something she would never do for herself because she puts others ahead of herself. Anyways...hope everyone is well and have a great day!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
under new management

That is a great thing to do for your mom, DR