Old 05-27-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Ken,

We are brothers in sobriety.

Wow, you made my year!

Thanks for advice and reassurance.

I am still healing after 2 years. It gets better every day.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
I see you are a lady....Siblings in sobriety.

Sorry.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I see you are a lady....Siblings in sobriety.

Sorry.
Ha ha! No worries. Brothers, sisters, siblings... doesn't matter what we are. Important thing is that we're in sobriety and we're all helping to keep each other there. Thanks again
Old 05-27-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
This is the resentment prayer...

RESENTMENT PRAYER:

God, I have a resentment towards X that I want to be free of.
So I am asking you to give X everything I want for myself.
Help me feel compassion; understanding and love for X.
I pray that X will receive everything they need.
Thankyou for your help and strength with this resentment.

I also find this one invaluable when dealing with people who aren't behaving as I might like / hope / expect ...

God, help me to accept that people may be unreasonable and self-centred. Let me forgive them anyway.
Help me to accept that if I’m kind, people may accuse me of ulterior motives. Let me be kind anyway.
Help me to accept that if I find happiness, people may be jealous. Let me be happy anyway.
Help me to accept that the good I do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Let me do good anyway.
Help me to accept that I may give the world my best, and it may never be good enough. Let me give my best anyway.
God, help me to remember that it is between you and me. It was never between me and them anyway.

BB
Bb,

Those are amazing prayers to me.

Just what i needed and then some.

You have me as a fan for life.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
when i was drinking, i viewed anyone who didn't drink as a judgemental, goody-goody weirdo. I thought there was something wrong with them. Why couldn't they let their hair down and have some of the 'fun' i was having? It was convenient for my addiction to view non drinkers with contempt and that's why i somehow thought i was better than them. Cringe!!!

In my drinking days, if anyone at work had started talking to me about my drinking; about aa or anything to do with recovery, i know for a fact that i would have run straight back further into the embrace of my ever-present, ever-understanding addiction. It would have pushed me even further away from health.

You are certainly in a very tricky situation but you have many tools at your disposal. Your 2 years of sobriety has given you some awesome wisdom. I love reading your posts. I often read them and think, "ah, that's why i'm feeling like this. It's ok. D122y felt like this. I'm normal and i'm going to be ok."

you can't make the decision to stop drinking for an active alcoholic but as someone else said, you can plant a seed in their mind. And you can do that by example. Keep doing what you're doing. Keep living your sober life, keep viewing the world as you do and maybe, just maybe, your colleague will see something that starts to make things click.

Thanks for all the help you've given me. Even though you didn't know you were helping
^^^^
this!!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Bb,

Those are amazing prayers to me.

Just what i needed and then some.

You have me as a fan for life.

Thanks.
Can't remember how I came across the Do It Anyway one now, but apparently Mother Theresa had it up on her door in an orphanage in Calcutta (or somewhere similar).

I'm an AAer / 12-stepper and have found this prayer page very helpful... Friends of Bill W. - Twelve Step Prayersfromthe Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous

I'm happy to have a fan for life (my first I believe lol) but just be aware that I don't have an original thought in my head - just passing on stuff I've picked up along the way.

Take care and don't let your buddy grind you down. BB
Old 05-27-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

hi D122, you're in a tough position and I don't envy you. I think your plan is the right way to approach it. I noticed you said you don't think he even realizes he has a problem. Isn't that crazy, I too know people who have obvious alcohol problems and yet they think they are completely normal. I keep my mouth shut, hopefully they figure it out on their own.