Notices

To all the people that may be thinking of drinking..

Old 05-20-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Exclamation To all the people that may be thinking of drinking..

Just look how many people relapse then immediately come back to this site. Sometimes even while drinking. It's obviously not fun out there if they come right back. Play the tape through. Save yourself some guilt, shame, remorse, hangover, starting over, etc. I know its not easy but if you want it more than anything you can and will find a way to do it. So instead of experimenting and coming back do yourself a favor and just stay. Sending strength to those still struggling.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks man! Good idea!
Old 05-20-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wish I could come up with reasons not to drink besides avoiding terrible withdrawals. Just isn't there. John
Old 05-20-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, SteveAlex.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
10r

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I truly needed that.
I'm having a tough time at home today. Hopefully lunch will help.
Your so right with the guilt, shame and sickness etc. of starting over.
It's not worth it.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Wish I could come up with reasons not to drink besides avoiding terrible withdrawals. Just isn't there. John
It seems then the converse is that drinking is the only way to avoid withdrawals.
The problem is that withdrawals may not be avoidable, but can be greatly mitigated by seeking available professional medical assistance, widely available. After detox, the reason for drinking will no longer exist.
Trying to combat reasons for not doing something are like trying to prove a negative, there is no there , there.
Combatting/dismissing the reasons for choosing to do something is the type of action required to choose to not do something.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteveAlex View Post
Just look how many people relapse then immediately come back to this site. Sometimes even while drinking. It's obviously not fun out there if they come right back.
Thanks for sharing this! I was thinking the exact same thought the other day Steve.

So many times in the past I went back to drinking and kicked myself every single time for doing so.

Whenever the thought crosses my mind to have a drink, I think of how terrible I felt the day after. It's not worth "the test" because every time I've started over, it's gotten harder and harder to abstain and find true recovery.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

How about better relations with friends and family?
Better appearance ?
Better health?
Better work product?
Saving money?
Less shame?
Less feeling crappy for knowing you can do better?

There are a lot of reasons. I bet you could think of at least 2 ways your life would be better.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not drinking now

For today and now I will not drink. I get so stressed about what other people have said to me in the past. About my life and about me
Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you

Great thoughts weekends are hard..I get th urge to drink especially now that the weather is changing.
Originally Posted by Shitzupuppy View Post
Better appearance ?
Better health?
Better work product?
Saving money?
Less shame?

There are a lot of reasons. I bet you could think of at least 2 ways your life would be better.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Better appearance ?
Better health?
Better work product?
Saving money?
Less shame?

Love to respond but most people here would call it self-pity and it is probably true. Just want help and direction without judgement and that ain't gonna happen. Look, I'm pretty hard on myself and don't accept excuses for my behavior. But unfortunately some people here see my reasons to drink as excuses. What they don't understand is that I'm looking for a way out of this madness. There is no excuse for my drinking. I drink cause I see no reason to not to. I'm sure others here can relate to that. Sober friends, no. Family support, no. Connecting with people at AA, never happened after many attempts. I'm stuck here in my apartment alone to deal with this. Are these excuses to drink, of course not. If I pick up a 12 pack or a bottle of vodka, it's because I wanted to. I just don't see a reason not to. I don't blame others or life for my situation. I made my bed, and I'm fine sleeping in it. Other than my sister, nobody is going to mourn my dying and that's ok. I have worked hard over my life to help others have a good life. I'm sure I will always be in their memories. Couldn't ask for more. Pretty cool being me. John
Old 05-20-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just hope I've made a difference to the good people here on SR. You deserve the best. John
Old 05-20-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very true

I lost my job a couple of weeks ago and if any reason to drink, thats a pretty good one - decided instead to hunker down and tough out the detox. You're right, it's absolute hell - flu x 1000, but i'll tell ya...dig deep, muster all your will power and you'll feel like a new human being once it passes. Its remarkable the change that happens once you come out on the other side. Sure there's cravings, but trust me, once you go through it once, you'll never want to do it again! Stay the course, be strong and you can do it! Courage and love man!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BLo72 View Post
dig deep, muster all your will power and you'll feel like a new human being once it passes. Its remarkable the change that happens once you come out on the other side. Sure there's cravings, but trust me, once you go through it once, you'll never want to do it again! Stay the course, be strong and you can do it! Courage and love man!
SO true BLo!
Old 05-20-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Love to respond but most people here would call it self-pity and it is probably true. Just want help and direction without judgement and that ain't gonna happen. Look, I'm pretty hard on myself and don't accept excuses for my behavior. But unfortunately some people here see my reasons to drink as excuses. What they don't understand is that I'm looking for a way out of this madness. There is no excuse for my drinking. I drink cause I see no reason to not to. I'm sure others here can relate to that. Sober friends, no. Family support, no. Connecting with people at AA, never happened after many attempts. I'm stuck here in my apartment alone to deal with this. Are these excuses to drink, of course not. If I pick up a 12 pack or a bottle of vodka, it's because I wanted to. I just don't see a reason not to. I don't blame others or life for my situation. I made my bed, and I'm fine sleeping in it. Other than my sister, nobody is going to mourn my dying and that's ok. I have worked hard over my life to help others have a good life. I'm sure I will always be in their memories. Couldn't ask for more. Pretty cool being me. John

Hey John, I'm not judging you. I think that a person who has worked hard in his life to help others have a good life, is pretty great! The world needs more people like that!

Withdrawals are definitely terrible! But once you go thru that, you might be able to see some benefits to being sober.

I have only been sober about 3 weeks, but even in this time, my outlook has changed. I still think it's worth it for you!
Old 05-20-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey John, I'm not judging you. I think that a person who has worked hard in his life to help others have a good life, is pretty great! The world needs more people like that!

Withdrawals are definitely terrible! But once you go thru that, you might be able to see some benefits to being sober.

I have only been sober about 3 weeks, but even in this time, my outlook has changed. I still think it's worth it for you!
I plan on quitting tomorrow. Not cause I have a reason to quit, just that I want to. Nothing more. John
Old 05-20-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If it is of any use I'm sitting in my flat alone, freaked out, stressed to the max, anxious and afraid but I'm not going to drink. Too horrible and DEFINITELY makes things worse for me, that is.

Think I'm afraid of what a good sober life might hold..undeserving or something idk?

I hope you do make tomorrow your big Day 1.

Wishing you all of the very best, you deserve it, just as I've found I do too. I'm going for it.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

2much and steely, we are with you!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Shitzupuppy, means a lot.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

You deserve happy, joyous and free lives Steely and 2much. Your worth it and we care. Sending you both strength.