Notices

Difficult to walk by?

Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
10r

Difficult to walk by?

Well, it's been 19 days now. Amongst having the cravings the next most difficult thing is to walk by. By that I mean a liquor or beer store. I've done it a few times without going in but they are difficult to avoid. Always across from the drug or grocery stores I go to.

Anybody have ways to deal with this?
I just try to avoid those areas for now.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Practice makes perfect!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep, they'll always be there.

It gets easier every time you do it.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, if you can't avoid them, just keep walking by, and it will get easier.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They were giving free samples of wine at the grocery store I was grabbing groceries at yesterday, It was tempting to have a sample but I didn't have any. I did have a mini childish tantrum in my head, "Why can't I have just ONE teeny sample?" I just kept walking.

Grocery and drug stores, and gas stations!, are hard to avoid. I just remind myself of the likely results if I grab a bottle, which are not good, and keep moving. I may grab myself a non alcoholic option, usually a probiotic drink or coconut water, if I think I'm wanting something other than water or coffee to drink. I totally feel you though.Today is day 70 for me.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there are always tempts. Takes time and rewiring your brain to learn 'no' before the act before thinking kicks in.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
10r

Ok

Thank you all.
I guess in time it will get better. I'll do my best to avoid also.

I discovered non-alcoholic beer today. By that I mean 0.0% alcohol.
That will help with things like cutting lawn or BBQ which I'm accustomed to having a drink.

Let us all hang in there.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 10r View Post

I discovered non-alcoholic beer today. By that I mean 0.0% alcohol.
That will help with things like cutting lawn or BBQ which I'm accustomed to having a drink.
i think it would be the opinion of many of here that your playin with fire, especially since theres about 1,243,567 other non alcoholic drinks- drinks that dont mimic beer- to drink.
just as getting accustomed to walking by the alcohol, its necessary to get accustomed to not drinking ANYTHING that mimics beer.
seems that non alcoholic beer would be sold right there with the real stuff ,too?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live about 5 mins from a liquor store...other than knowing it's there - along with the takeaway, the 711 and the pizza place - I literally never notice it.

I have no doubt you can get to this point too

You're a non drinker now, right?

D
Old 05-12-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
10r

Yes I can understand yes it's probably not the best of ideas to drink non alcoholic substitute.
I'll try and stick with the flavoured carbonated water.
Also, no it's not right next to the alcoholic beverages here in Canada.
They don't sell alcohol at the grocery store, gas station or convenience store.

I had good intentions never to drink again. Just trying to do everything on my power to make sure that doesn't happen.

Thanks for the advice.
On to 20 days tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

In the early days I was getting physical, mental emotional urges which came out of no where but also with cues, triggers and situations. These faded over many many months. Later on they came back in weaker forms with changes of season, anniversaries, special occasions or when stresses.

Now its no biggie- I go where I want with no dramas, even if people are drinking
Old 05-12-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It really does get easier, it just takes time. I am several months sober now and have just started to notice that I don't think about drinking or sobriety everyday. Being sober is biggining to seem the norm. Hang in there it will get easier and easier.

As for as the non alcohol beer goes I tried that. I soon lost interest when I realized there was no buzz to go along with it. I don't believe it's worth the risk. You can do this😀
Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It was a big deal the first time I shopped for groceries without visiting the alcohol section. Now it's just another section that doesn't really apply to me -- kind of like the babies section, the tobacco counter, and that aisle full of canned meat
Old 05-13-2017, 12:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
10r

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
It really does get easier, it just takes time. I am several months sober now and have just started to notice that I don't think about drinking or sobriety everyday. Being sober is biggining to seem the norm. Hang in there it will get easier and easier.

As for as the non alcohol beer goes I tried that. I soon lost interest when I realized there was no buzz to go along with it. I don't believe it's worth the risk. You can do this😀
I'm just coming upon 3 weeks sober. More than ever in the last 20 years. If I just look back even 2 weeks ago, things are getting easier( a little). So yes, I believe time will help.
It's a challenge but I will hang in there. I definitely don't want to lose all the good things I have going in my life.

I see the doc on Tuesday and I think he will be impressed.
I can go to the AA meetings but I'm really looking for a therapist. They are all fully booked. Even the ones the health plan doesn't cover.

It really does help to have support and advice from people who know what going through.
Thank you all
Old 05-13-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Those wine samples in the grocery store are something else. They got me once, during one of my attempts at sobriety, when I didn't say "no".

Now I say, "nope, I don't drink". It was a hard line to master saying at first, and I didn't do it for a long time, even though the advice here was to say it. I just didn't believe in my sobriety (read: believe in myself, my higher power) at first. Well, more like I didn't SEE it. But it really is a great habit. Say those words out loud. Practice them. Then let them fall out of your mouth, when people try to give you free samples, when you pass by the liquor store. You don't drink. It's a pretty cool declaration.

It gets easier when you practice.

In gratitude

B
Old 05-13-2017, 12:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had to drive a different route home after work so I wouldn't stop at my liquor store. After a while when I knew drinking was off the table I've been able to go into the liquor store and by a soda or even a nice bottle of wine for friends. I personally don't do anything to test my sobriety. I make sure I am spiritually fit before putting myself into a dangerous situation. I make sure my reason to be in a pub, bar and grill, liquor store is pure. I am there because of a non drinking reason.

Anyway, it gets easier by the day to know if you can or cannot go by the liquor store, alcohol aisle or bar. Good luck
Old 05-13-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 19 days 10r

Just as an aside, I remember from when I was still drinking that 0% n/a beer tasted disgusting and that even as a drinker something else was preferable.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It does get easier. What you tell yourself will make or break this situation. I have noticed that my mind only thinks about alcohol when I am hungry. So, instead of drinking, I eat dinner.

At work yesterday, we were sampling a local liquor along with cheese, bread and fruit. I enjoyed the little snacks provided and didnt even think twice about the alcohol. The blackberries, olives and cheese seemed more appealing. I was even thinking "What would this green olive, blackberry and sharp cheddar taste like when put on one small piece of baguette?" I was getting a kick out of the pairing of foods. It was enjoyable.