Notices

New hobbies and adventures

Old 05-08-2017, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New hobbies and adventures

My previous post was a bit of a downer so I thought I'd ask everyone what things they rediscovered when getting sober. For me reading, music and cooking have become real passions over the last week. I think that's one of the exciting things about soberiety I don't hear many people talk about, you gain so much in terms of just enjoying things that you were too out of it to appreciate or even attempt for years.

Right now I've just finished some homemade chicken tikka masala and it might not be winning any competitions, but after a decade of pot noodles and ready meals, I didn't think it was half bad =)
Old 05-08-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Hitch- I agree. For me when people asked me about 'hobbies'- it seemed like something to do - for enjoyment but just a sideline thing.
What I replaced booze with- art has been a real game changer for me. I use it like a visual journal- the colours, themes etc reflect my emotional/thought processes and I learn. I also have picked up cooling again. A hard one- as cooking was always a central family theme. Now alone I avoided cooking anything nice for me- as it raised memories. Memories do not kill, not eating does. My interest at the moment is roast anything. Like I just cooked up 7kg of pork, beef and chicken. Most of it goes in stir fry's and pasta dishes- which I freeze. Cooking is bulk saves me a lot of money.
Perhaps more importantly- if reflects a change in thinking- from drinking to self care, respect, routine (important) and stuff.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've always loved to cook...even more so since I stopped drinking. When I was drinking (both my husband and I cooked a lot)...the food was either over cooked or we didn't enjoy it due to drinking too much before we finally sat down to eat. Chicken Tikka Marsala sounds great!

Other hobbies I enjoy more since I stopped drinking are: reading, working out, gardening, decorating, watching movies, journaling ... I'm also a lot more domesticated than I used to be. The house is always clean now, laundry is done and bills are paid on time.

There's a few other hobbies I've been thinking about getting into as well: needlepoint and painting...just need to find the time.

Everything is so much more enjoyable when sober!