Notices

where do i go from here

Old 10-17-2004, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

where do i go from here

i posted in the wrong forum and got only one response and it was nice but i need more feedback.Iam struggling with coming off pain meds for many years hand 13 surgies and way to many procedures i have been clean for 2 months but the back pain is still bad and i dont know what to do. i know if I go to the doctors they will want to give me more medication and do more surgery so I dont go I know I need one more surgery but want more clean time before I do. however with the cold weather approaching the pain just gets woarse . alsoIam still dealing with way to much guilt over using I cant seem to forgive myself any help??????? : thanks
Old 10-17-2004, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ben's Papa

Tobitoto,
I was an addict for years although my addiction did not come from pain but for want of pleasure.One of the biggest things I had to overcome when I stopped using was the guilt.I was able to forgive everyone but myself.Posting on this forum has helped me immensely.I now realize there is nothing I can do to change the past but my future path is my choice.Hang in there.I'm sure you will get more replies by people more knowledgable than me about your problem.God bless!!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
duo

Hi there Tobi,
I can sympathise with your situation - you seem to be in a catch-22. I don't really know what to suggest, but want to encourage you in any small way that I can. Like Richie, I did drugs just for the pleasure. When I got third degree burns on most of my arm a few months ago (because of relapse, needless to say) and had to have pethidine for the pain, I was anguished at the thought of becoming addicted to yet another drug. Have you tried exploring alternative pain management strategies? Like physical therapy/massage etc? Acupuncture? I've heard people say that you've got to do 'anything it takes' to stay clean but this is hard in the face of chronic pain. So my advice is Research, Research, Research! My thoughts will be with you, and you'll be in my prayers.
Duo
Old 10-17-2004, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Chronic Pain patient

I have been a drug addict for years before being diagnosed as Fibromyalgia. I finnaly got to the point that the pain meds they had me on was one step below morphine. So I went on line and did some research and found out that alot of times when people quite pain meds their pain goes away. Something with the mind body connection. i stopped 9 Days ago but in the last 2 days my pain had become liveable whithout meds. It's one long hard road but I'm willing to do it.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Been on pain meds for 1 year get off. they don't help and it is the biggest black hole I ever looked down. Mind over matter and NA saved my liver and my Life.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks for the help I did have a morphine pump surgically implanted in my body for one year it put a constant flow of morphine into my spinal canal 24/7 and I had 3 leaks so they finallyfused my spine at 3 levels and tookout the pump so thats what Iam coming off of and its really hard I now have 8 screws 4 rods and 4 cross bars and 3 spacers in my back and that is what is giving me the trouble now they want to take them out because they stick out so far i cant even lean back on a chair and the muscles keep getting caught on them I am so sick of surgery and I dont want to go back on pain meds but they say this surgery is very painful so now Iam scared I have done every allternative that I know of and right now I just take advil and a none addicting muscle relaxer I wish they had better ways to control chronic pain but I do thank all of you for yors prays and support it does help thanks.