Notices

Were you surprised by what worked for you?

Old 05-04-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Were you surprised by what worked for you?

In his book, This is How, Augusten Burroughs [recovered/ing alcoholic] writes, somewhat discouragingly, that "all the books, therapies, and programs -- are merely hand-holding. They all strike to accomplish the same thing: to talk you into not drinking."

He basically takes the position that to successfully quit drinking, you have to have a strong enough internal desire to quit and that unless and until you do, none of that other stuff will work. Or it's unlikely to work.

I tend to agree with him (for myself -- not for others), but I'm inclined to make an exception for SR because it is so completely accessible AND interactive, 'round the clock, unlike real-life recovery programs, or counselors, or books, or whatever else.

I am absolutely open to trying other methods of recovery, but if I'm honest I have to admit to having grave doubts that they will really make a difference in keeping me sober. I just feel like I know myself well enough to know what will and won't help me. On the other hand, it seems like pure foolishness NOT to do something other than SR because "if nothing ever changes, nothing ever changes." I believe that, too.

In that vein, I'm curious about people who tried a method that they didn't think would work for them but ultimately did. I would love to know what you tried, why you didn't think it would work, and why you believe it worked in spite of your initial doubts. Thanks for any contributions.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So...you're still drinking now, despite your 13 Dec 2016 sober date? I'm confused.

When I quit, I had no doubts. I rolled out of bed, sick and tired and hungover and landed on my knees and that was that. I was tired of it all and I knew it was over.

Did a few AA meetings, but they didn't think I'd stay sober unless I followed their directions, I knew they were wrong - I already knew I was done. I did spend a lot of time on here, it helped.

I was ready. It's just a decision that I back up every time the thought to have a drink comes in my head. I don't drink, so that thought is ushered out and I move on to the next thought.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will say that I agree with what he said. Nothing will work until the addict has a strong enough desire to quit, and is willing to do whatever is necessary to live a sober life. I have read several of Augusten Burroughs' books and loved them all. I am glad to know that you have found such great support here. It truly is a wonderful place.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
I just feel like I know myself well enough to know what will and won't help me.
If you know yourself, and are being honest, which is it:

A case of the recovery method not working? Or you not working the recovery method?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, MeSo!
Old 05-04-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Hi, MeSo!
I looooooove you, Gilmer.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with Augusten.

And, I fought AA tooth and nail til I was nearly nails in a coffin for me. And, I'll be darned, it saved my life. I know people use other methods, some "just" SR (I need the IRL component hence my use of "" not because I am knocking it) and I consider every person who needs to get sober who does to be a winner. I also know that since AA works for me and I have the happy, joyous, and free life and see the promises coming true all around me....and see the people much farther along than me who still have it and have what I want, through years of trials and tribs, good and bad, etc.....I don't need another route.