Notices

What do you do?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do?

What do y'all do when life just feels impossible to deal with?

I'm short on rent, I have no gas, no food. I've paid all the bills i can, and I'm totally broke. My new job won't start for at least another week, possibly two. I'm so frustrated.

I'm almost glad I have no money because I can't easily get high, but there are people who will get it for me if I really tried hard enough. I don't want to do that though.

I'm getting ready to call my sponsor. But I am so stressed. I don't know what to do about my finances. I feel like my life is falling apart.

I'm sorry to whine and rant, but I had to get it out.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Call your sponsor! You do not want to owe $$$ for drugs/booze. If anything, I'd rather borrow $$ for rent,food and gas. Think outside the addictive mind for a minute and ask: "what would a "normal person do?".
Old 04-28-2017, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kitten, I'm really sorry that you're struggling financially so much. But, it's great that you have a new job coming up, so you just have to hang on. Is it possible for you to go to a food bank or a Church in your area? Staying sober will help you to get through this.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Annas ideas about food banks etc are good. I've used them before.

I've also had to make a list of my creditors and start making payment plans.

It was tough to do, pridewise, but doing it that way kept me in shelter, power, phone and water.

the good news is my financial situation improved out of sight once I wasn't drinking or using

D
Old 04-28-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You'll make it, just don't drink or get high. I know its hard, and probably close to causing a breakdown. I don't know that this will help you, but perspective helped me. At times I had $17,000 owed at the first of the month and I was $4K in the hole. How am I gonna survive? I started prioritizing and getting on the phone. I didn't feel so bad when I had friend who owed $330K on the first of the month and was 50K in the hole and their 400K credit line was tapped. My point is that at some point you have to face the music and dig out. You can do it.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

PAYMENT PLAN? Approach people and suggest how much you can afford? Talk to sponsor. Go to one of those places that manage your money. POST HERE.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the supportive words everyone.

I do have an old co-worker whose husband volunteers at their church's food bank. She's an extremely nice lady, so I'm going to call her tomorrow to see when the food bank is open. I may also look into applying for food stamps to use until my new job starts.

I wish there were more options for single, childless young adults when it comes to short term financial aid for things like housing and electricity, etc. Once I start my new job I'll be fine, but until then the struggle is real. That, combined with my struggle to stay sober is really kicking my ass right now. I feel like a total failure at life.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2/2016

You don't seem like a failure to me. Hey, you are posting here and trying to better yourself and you have a new job lined up. That is a great deal right there. Just get through this tough patch. One day at a time. The future looks bright, not bleak! good luck
Old 04-28-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are struggling so much right now. This will not always be the case. Its good to see that you are reaching out and using resources that are available to you. SR, food bank, friends etc. You will get through this. Dont use. Post here first.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do you have a family member or friend you could ask for a short term loan until you start working again? I'm in some serious financial mess right now myself but I do have a job, I just have a mountain of debt I'll never be able to pay off. I keep reminding myself that drinking or using is only going to make things worse. When does it ever really help with any problem? You may temporarily forget for a few hours but the problem will still be there the next day.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add words of support, stay strong and sober through this and it will pass. Financial stress is an enormous one, I have been there too, but drinking/using does nothing to make it go away and only makes your debts bigger.
Try sitting down and making a list of things you can do- food banks, applying for food stamps, etc. It may be that you qualify for food stamps or other financial aid even when your new job starts depending on your wages. There is no shame in taking help to keep things more manageable for you. That is what it is there for.