Notices

Mood Swings?

Old 04-28-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mood Swings?

Anyone else struggle with mood swings in early sobriety? I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster going between anxiety, happiness, fear, remorse, guilt and so on. I imagine this may be fairly common especially since I am not numbing myself with alcohol, but what are your experiences?
Old 04-28-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Heck Yes !!!! Early recovery is famous for its fairground rollercoaster rides

Do you journal that helps a lot, dedicating time to SR to have some you time in recovery & to know your not alone

Have you joined the class of April & have you got a plan
Old 04-28-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZenButterfly View Post
Anyone else struggle with mood swings in early sobriety? I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster going between anxiety, happiness, fear, remorse, guilt and so on. I imagine this may be fairly common especially since I am not numbing myself with alcohol, but what are your experiences?
Yes! And it levels off over time, I promise you. But if you go back and drink, you go right back to this.. trust me!

I'm on day 11, and the desire to drink keeps poking it's little head up, and I keep ignoring it because I'm FINALLY feeling a bit more stable.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Like a roller coaster.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
This is a very accurate description!

It eventually calms down
Old 04-28-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep. Most definitely. I had to tell my wife to disregard everything I said and did for the first six weeks! I was a mess.

Maybe think of it like this: Your addiction is probably getting p*ssed off with being starved. Any anxiety and moodiness is its problem, not yours. These things show that you are making progress and getting well. You just have to give it time.

I too found joining my support thread a great way of figuring out hat was going on with these kinds of things. It helps to connect with others at the same stage as you.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post

Do you journal that helps a lot, dedicating time to SR to have some you time in recovery & to know your not alone

Have you joined the class of April & have you got a plan
Yep, I have been working on a big plan. My addiction doc has it all typed out for me and it includes AA, medication, vitamins, exercise, stress reduction techniques, counseling, etc. We will even be working on nutrition soon. I just need to ride the waves of this craziness I guess!

I have not joined the class of April yet but since it's almost May maybe I'll wait and join them
Old 04-29-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another big yes! It took awhile for my emotions to even out to where they are now- and I am 432 days sober. I still have my sudden irritability and moments of discontent, disturbance, etc. Now they are quicker to pass and less severe, and I have tools to deal with them better.

Not drinking, keeping on my path, working my program - all help keep my emotional sobriety strong.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Remorse and guilt sit on my shoulder almost all day - but I know it is only the beast of the drink. Breathing in and out, taking a walk with my pal dog helps.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Completely normal. It will get better with time.

Everything will get better with time but, as Brenda said if you start drinking again, it starts all over.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

ALCOHOL NUMBS
BRAIN WAKES UP
EMOTIONS CONNECT- ANCHOR TO SOMETIHNG, A PLACE TO START HEALING. Just ride the emotions out- post, remember HALTS- do recovery stuff.
Good to ask. Support to you.