Notices

help for a binge drinker

Old 04-22-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help for a binge drinker

My husband is a binge drinker and I've called ems before to pick him up and take him to the hospital for detox. The ems workers came and because he could say his name and said he didn't want to go, they wouldn't take him. One of the workers said that I looked stressed and could I go to a family members house to spend the night. I said, no because he can't be left alone, he's had an alcoholic seizure before. You would think that the alcoholic wouldn't have to be unconscious or something to be transported to the hospital. They should never tell someone to leave an alcoholic by themselves. Just couldn't believe it!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome.

Really, all you can do is stay somewhere else or be a witness then, right?

I don't think EMS should be on call for every drunk on the planet, do you? Then any time a family member wanted some peace and quiet, someone would have to be his chauffeur and the insurance company would have to pay for it.

I am in agreement that someone who is merely drunk (by his own hand) should be left to his own devices unless he's dangerous or in imminent physical danger to himself.

What are you doing for yourself so you don't have to live this way? Have you thought about therapy or Al Anon meetings?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No one can be forced to go to the hospital unless they were unconscious or in serious medical need where they couldn't speak for themselves, being a drunken fool is a choice they make and no one can force them to get clean, outside of perhaps through the courts if they were arrested.
Otherwise I agree I think you need to start working on your sanity. Do you want to keep living this way with a drunken clown that you have to constantly babysit? It might be a good idea to look into moving on,...
Old 04-22-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential.

Welcome, and I'm sorry that you're in a difficult situation. You will find lots of support for yourself here at SR.

I'm sorry that you felt like you couldn't leave your husband so that you could take care of yourself. I hope that you can sit down and come up with a plan so that you don't feel like you must stay with your husband when he is drunk. The thing is, you can't make your husband go to the ER even if he is risking his health.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation too Goodperson.

I know it feels like if you leave something might happen to your spouse...but if you don't leave something might happen to your hopes and dreams and that can be just as bad if not worse.

I hope you'll keep posting here, check out our Family and Friends section as well,

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

and maybe consider AlAnon - they're very good at offering support to the spouses and loved ones of alcoholics.

D