Notices

Not sure where to start.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure where to start.

Hi everyone. Thanks for making this site and letting me in. Let me start off by giving you a bit of back story. I am an adult child of a long time alcoholic. My father was a heavy whiskey drinker for as long as I can remember. About 4 months ago he got a bad flu and was unable to drink which sent him in to DT's. At the hospital the Dr's figured out that the DT was the biggest health problem that he had at the time. After a few days in ICU and a week in the hospital he was able to come home clean and over the withdrawal symptoms. At the hospital he saw the light and figured out what he had been missing out on for 40 years. Here we are 4 months later and he is doing extremely well. My dad is trying to make up for lost time and is doing a great job. I am enjoying having a sober father.

Here is my question and reason for this post:
I know that my father is supposed to abstain from alcohol completly. However, the day before yesterday he was out working in the yard and got very hot and decided to have a beer. It was only a single beer and not the massive quantity of whisky that used to drink. I just talked to him today and he told me that yesterday afternoon he got "the shakes" like the ones he was having when I took him to the hospital for DT, but not nearly as bad. Is it possible that these shakes could have been from the single beer, or could it just be normal for a 67yr old man that got very hot outside?

Thank you so much for your help and understanding. Alcoholism is a tough disease for all of those that have to endure it.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ah, damn. He really should stay away from the alcohol. Maybe the beer triggered something, maybe it was the heat. Not a physician, so I can't say.
But...my sib has had withdrawal related seizures, and it's not good.
We can't control others' behavior, but I would encourage your dad to drink non-alcoholic beverages. No beer.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

God bless
Old 04-05-2017, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No alcohol whatsoever. Bad bad idea. The shakes were more than likely the result of alcohol getting into his system and sending the body into a kind of anticipation mode where the pleasure center in the brain has been tripped and the body is reacting to it. It could very easily send an alcoholic back to whatever their booze of choice is.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

My advice is to keep an eye on him to see if his consumption increases over time. That's a big indicator his alcoholism is back with full force.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

The shakes could have been brought on by introducing alcohol once again, the craving can start. "We" are not like others, whether born that way or becoming. Alcohol affects us differently. It could also be blood sugar or other things associated with being out in the sun, but alcohol could certainly be the culprit. Any alcohol at all could become a slide back down the slope. It is really crucial that he understand and internalize this.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
All is Change

At that age and that history make sure he has a checkup regardless, particularly after working hard and having symptoms. Also, no booze, period. He needs to avoid a relapse as the disease is seriously progressive and there may be no return form one.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please Remember: It's against our rules to ask for or to give Medical advice.

We have no way of knowing how much your father is drinking or how it might affect him. The fact he is drinking at all is concerning. I hope that he decides to get past this relapse and live a sober life again. Do you have any support for yourself?
Old 04-05-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you joined us, ACOA. Your father is fortunate to have your caring & concern. I agree that speaking to his doctor is advisable. I hope he stays off it all together. There is never going to be a safe amount for him to drink.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you joined us too ACOA - none of us are doctors, but I do know that alcoholics should never drink - 'not even beer' - if they want to stay in recovery.

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here for yourself

D