Notices

Day3 hand tremor

Old 04-02-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard to mistake DTs for anything else, even if they share some characteristics. I didn't want you to be alarmed - but at the same time, alcoholism is a progressive condition.

Drinking as a cure for anything just makes the problem worse in the long rum.

D
Old 04-02-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
My experience is a bit of an oddity, but perhaps it will serve as a cautionary tale.

Over 4 years after quitting drinking for good, I still have vestiges of alcoholic tremor. Apparently I knocked something permanently off kilter in my nervous system with my drinking, and it may never return to 100% normal.

Of course, in hindsight, there were warning signs along the way, but my addiction was too strong to allow me to heed them.
I have a permanent hand tremor from my years of alcohol abuse. My last relapse, which lasted seven months, did some serious damage to me. When I got sober the first time, I had long-term memory damage from my alcohol abuse. Miraculously, I managed to recover from that almost completely. This time, at 13 months sober, I accept that this damage may be permanent. I struggle daily with shame around my hand tremors. I know that most people don't notice, and of those who do, very few guess that it is the result of years spent being a drunk. But in my mind, it feels like a giant neon sign that says "ALCOHOLIC."

My advice to anyone who is self-conscious about shaking hands? Get sober. Now.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

At eight months sober I also continue to have shakes although much less then when drinking!. My head has a slight tremor that I feel when I lay down to go to sleep, my hands shake especially when I am anxious or in the morning before break fast. I think the years of drinking messed up my sugar levels and also did some irreparable neurological damage. I also experienced a severe tragedy in my life and noticed my body shakes got much worse since then ( 2 years ago).
The shakes were a definite red flag and warning sign for me especially since alcohol was the only thing that got rid of them completely...my cure became my biggest curse tho!
I feel so great now at 8 months in recovery, Ill take the slight tremors anyday in exchange for the peace and freedom that I experience on the daily.
I LOVE being sober and pray I never go back to where I was. Thank you so much for sharing your current situation, a great reminder of where I came from.

Stay blessed.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

anxiety and hand tremors are quite common while in withdrawal. So is panicking. For me, it took a solid 6 months for those symptoms to start improving. Meditation also helps my racing mind. Give it time and most importantly STAY SOBER.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I get shaky hands also, but I'm on day 3 now and haven't really noticed it much today.
How are you feeling now?
Keep checking in a posting here. You can get thru this!