Notices

Day 79 and devastatingly tired

Old 03-28-2017, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 79 and devastatingly tired

Howdy folks, im still on my journey here and doing well, in on day 79. But in the last week or 2 ive been extremely tired. Ive stopped smoking, drinking and caffein.

Everything has been good, but these last 2 weeks, or10 days have been really difficult. Im just incredibly tired all the time and i sleep a lot. Im even sleeping through my alarm. Has anyone else experienced this and is this normal, or is this abnormal in some way. Im probably going to go to the Doctors anyway just to get a check up and explain what ive been doing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would have thought by day 79 or 80 i should be so tired all the time.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Around the 70-80 day (just a few days ago for me) I had trouble sleeping and realized I was getting into deep-sleep only early in the morning. I would then wake up and feel awful, under-slept and zombie-like the whole day. This went on 4-5 days. Getting to bed a bit earlier and waking up earlier may help. Hope you feel better soon! Great job on 79 days
Old 03-28-2017, 02:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InASilentWay View Post
Thanks for sharing. Around the 70-80 day (just a few days ago for me) I had trouble sleeping and realized I was getting into deep-sleep only early in the morning. I would then wake up and feel awful, under-slept and zombie-like the whole day. This went on 4-5 days. Getting to bed a bit earlier and waking up earlier may help. Hope you feel better soon! Great job on 79 days
Ok maybe thats it and as simple as going to bed earlier. I tend to feel like a zombie all morning and then wake up again at night and dont go to sleep until gone 11pm... and the cycle repeats. Or has done this last week or so.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe physical/ brain stuff. Perhaps see a doc for a full check up. Empathise.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Congrats on your sober time! Your body is on a healing journey right now. It's going to take some time for it to come around, and it can be tiring too. Also, people who have never had a problem with alcohol can have the same experience you're having right now.

Going to the doctors is always a good idea if you're unsure.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reformation View Post
Howdy folks, im still on my journey here and doing well, in on day 79. But in the last week or 2 ive been extremely tired. Ive stopped smoking, drinking and caffein.

Everything has been good, but these last 2 weeks, or10 days have been really difficult. Im just incredibly tired all the time and i sleep a lot. Im even sleeping through my alarm. Has anyone else experienced this and is this normal, or is this abnormal in some way. Im probably going to go to the Doctors anyway just to get a check up and explain what ive been doing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would have thought by day 79 or 80 i should be so tired all the time.
Totally my experience. I am 400 days sober today and fatigue is still the number one thing I watch out for as I seek to balance work, recovery, my relationship - my life. It is full and wonderful - and often tiring. I still nap most days.

The crushing fatigue was part of my recovery experience for quite awhile. A number of times, I recall having to pull the car over and lay down in the back seat immediately, and other types of going to sleep RIGHT THEN. That passed.

Seeing your dr is a great idea. I have made full use of mine and do take a nightly sleep aid (with an anxiety component) every night, among my other rx. We've adjusted doses or time of day for a couple of meds when the sleepiness during the day increased.

Taking care of ourselves- and letting our bodies heal on their timeframe- is a key part of recovery.

Hang in there- I saw a big shift in a lot of things around 100 days (I was very VERY sick when I quit drinking, so things recovered quickly in the scheme of a lifetime ahead, and slowly by some measurements) - and keep improving. Plenty of info out there tells you that a year to two years is the common period for healing for a real alcoholic like me.

You can do it.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats a fantastic reply, thank you very much. I really appreciate it :-)

I'll keep plugging away.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Excessive fatigue is not a silly reason to go see a doctor. It's actually a very good reason.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just a thought...perhaps giving up caffeine and alcohol is having this effect. A few years ago when I quit after drinking heavily for years I stopped caffeine too and was horribly tired at around the same time sober as you. I decided to not cut it out along with alcohol the last time around for sobriety and it seemed to help (also I wasn't drinking as much). Maybe a little bit of caffeine might help with your energy, just don't drink as much caffeine as before. The coffee pot in my local AA group is always on full tilt when I go there!

Hang in there!