Notices

Aa

Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you I shall do that
Old 03-17-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drunkgirl97 View Post
did you drink it straight or have it with coffee or something ? I just ask because I cant stand vodka on its own makes me so sick .... yeah your right when your drunk you think your doing a great job of hiding it but its obvious to everyone I've got to try and remember that
I always drank vodka with a mixer. Hated to drink anything straight,minus a shot or 12.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

One of my AA friends told me the other day that the only reason she agreed to go to her first meeting was because she thought some people might go for a pint afterwards, them being alcoholics and all. And she had a drink before she went as well. Lol. She's been sober a couple of years now.

I love meetings now I've got to know which ones suit me best, and have made friends there who I trust more, and who know me more, than any pre-AA or outside-AA friends could ever know me or understand me. That took a while though, but it was worth sticking at it for.

Just been having some tears of gratitude as I've found out that one of my closest buds isn't going to have to move back to her country of origin for the time being after all. Phew!!!!

Stick with it. Keep trying different ones, and def try to go sober. We can sniff out alcohol at 20 paces you know - one day you'll be the same. Like ex-smokers I suppose - we recognise that smell instantly, even if the person isn't acting drunk. Don't let that worry you too much from your first meeting though. I mean, it's nit like you're trying to hide that you're an alcoholic is it!! That's the beauty of going to AA. We can drop the darned acts.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 03-17-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

drunkgirl, we in AA have gotten there by different means- some killin a couple drinks before walkin in, some drinkin in the meeting, some still drunk from the night before, some,like me, not having drank for a couple days yet suicidal.
take all that out of the equation and look what was going on internally and we have a LOT of similarities- alcohol is just a symptom of deeper problems- problems the program helps to find causes and conditions for and be free from.
note- there are some underlying problems even AA recommends outside help for.
its hard saying how your neighbor was truly feeling or thinkin, but what a great place to see em!

do you have a copy of the big book or have ya read it? if not, you can read it online.
Alcoholics Anonymous : Alcoholics Anonymous

the first 164 pages are the program- first couple chapters tell quite a bit about alcoholism and its effects on us.
after that are personal stories.
still amazes me that a book published 28 years before i was born described me pretty good.
also had a pretty good solution- a solution with many promises that can materialize.

something else that amazed me- reading storied from the 1st edition of the big book- one of them was titled "fired again."
that mans story was extremely like mine.
yet his drinking career started in 1918
Old 03-17-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've never been to AA, but in al-anon, most of the people in my group said their spouses were drunk on their first meeting to AA. Don't stop going. Moderating is not enough. Try meetings in different cities, or in a different location in your city. Visit each meeting like you're shopping for a car. You wouldn't settle on the first one, would you? You've got this!!! You can do this!!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think AA isn't for everyone, even though I do attend meetings and currently chair a meeting. Bimini said about asking someone about which meetings they like. I think that's a great suggestion. Try a bunch of different meetings.

I also would go to meetings knowing that I smelled of alcohol and then sit there paranoid that I'd be found out. Being tipsy or hungover only increased the sense of awkwardness I felt.

Usually when someone comes in drunk or stoned to a meeting I'm at, the first thoughts I have is one of pity, followed by "thank goodness I don't have to live that way anymore." I didn't think I'd survive without drinking but I have.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

BerryB, your friend's story about going for pints after the AA meeting made me laugh. It sounds like me when I first tried sobriety. Thinking that abstinence for a length of time would allow me to drink like a normal person.

And I love this because it describes how I feel right now: "I love meetings now I've got to know which ones suit me best, and have made friends there who I trust more, and who know me more, than any pre-AA or outside-AA friends could ever know me or understand me. That took a while though, but it was worth sticking at it for. "