Notices

Day 11 --- how long before others felt "normal?"

Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 11 --- how long before others felt "normal?"

every one is different - weight, usage, etc. - just curious.

I feel like I have recovered from the flu. Not 100 percent, but you sense soon you'll have your energy back.

For others just starting like me. Motor through it like the flu. My days suck. Anxiety. Blood sugar and energy off. Each day a little better. Losing weight. Drinking a ton off water and peeing a lot. But I have the faith that the body will heal the damage addiction has done. Don't miss the booze
Old 03-16-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a while - 90 days or so - but I had complicating factors from my last detox.

11 days is still pretty early...I think you should be seeing improvement soon tho

D
Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm over 70 days, maybe approaching a new normal ��
Old 03-16-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me about 3 months before I felt the way I wanted to.

It sounds like you're doing well.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think physically I felt really good after three months. I will say though at over eight months sober I'm still learning more and more about living a happy life. Learning how to give to others. Learning how to enjoy spending time with my family to the fullest. Just learning to be a better person.

I hope those improvements never stop😀
Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I ll go with the 3 months crowd. That s when it started to feel natural to be sober, but since then there s been many positives that were never there before. 7 months now and I am a different person, way closer to the one I want to be opposed to the one I was.

Stay strong there!

P
Old 03-17-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's been 75 days for me and I am just starting to feel normal again. For me I took it day by day. It was a struggle in the early weeks but nothing else compares to seeing my sobriety tracker count up and up. Now I only look at my tracker every few days and some days I don't even think of alcohol
Old 03-17-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Around 100 days was when I saw significant shifts in most every area. I was getting better and better before then, but that stands out in my mind as a real change point.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is the first time in my adult life so it's a whole new world for me! It's pretty awesome!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by tenandten View Post
I feel like I have recovered from the flu.
Interesting that you compare recovery to the flu. I used a similar metaphor when I reached two years sober:

In a post congratulating me on my two-year-sober mark, a fellow SR member asked me how the second year sober compares to the first year. I think the first thing that strikes me is how much your perspective changes in the course of a year. I liken it to having the flu. Let me explain.

A few years back I was sick a week with the flu, as sick as I can remember being. After a week I felt better. After two weeks I felt even better. After three weeks I would have told you I was back to normal. But after 4 weeks I was still regaining strength. How does this relate to recovery from addiction?

After almost 35 years of daily drinking, I quit. I felt amazing after 30 days sober, physically speaking. At ninety days I thought I was over a lot of the emotional hurdles. However, I found myself so far past that point at 180 days sober that I was amazed. And while I thought the difference between 90 days and 180 days was huge, the difference between one year sober and two years sober was even greater.

I guess my point is, when you are sick—as with the flu—any improvement, even slight, feels dramatic. It isn’t until you return fully to health that you realize how sick you were. That’s how it was with my recovery. It took two years to realize how sick I really was. That’s what I meant by change of perspective. My take on my alcoholism has changed markedly over the past year.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great thread,

At just over 30 days sober, it sounds like I still have a lot to look forward to!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tenandten View Post
every one is different - weight, usage, etc. - just curious.

I feel like I have recovered from the flu. Not 100 percent, but you sense soon you'll have your energy back.

For others just starting like me. Motor through it like the flu. My days suck. Anxiety. Blood sugar and energy off. Each day a little better. Losing weight. Drinking a ton off water and peeing a lot. But I have the faith that the body will heal the damage addiction has done. Don't miss the booze
Thank you for the encouragement. Day 5 here, I feel you on the flu.. .yeesh. :/

Glad to hear you seem to have rounded the bend. If you don't mind me asking, you mentioned peeing a lot. I am peeing like... always haha, do you figure with you it's all the water or water and lack of alcohol? Just curious for another persons perspective since I am basically living in my bathroom.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
09/26/2015

Physically I felt normal about 2 weeks (it was spent in jail though so it was rough) Honestly mentally I am just now getting back to where I need to be with not so many High highs and low lows. I have 18 months but you have to think that we did so much damage for so many years that it is no surprise it takes a while mentally/emotionally to get it back together.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think it all depends on how long and heavily you drank. I drank from 18 to 45. I wasn't a daily drinker all of that time but I got drunk weekly from 18 to 30 and drank pretty much daily from 30-45. That being said I'm a little over 5 months sober and I started to see real improvements both physically and mentally about the 3 month mark, but I'm still not 100%. The improvements before that were there but were harder to quantify.

I just started to get back into exercise which I have not done in years and I think this is really helping me get over that last hump.

I heard a great analogy on here. If you walk 5 miles into the woods you have to walk 5 miles out. Simple but true!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

For me about 6 weeks. Set some short term goals and congratulate yourself for reaching them.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 11 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!