Notices

Was sober for over 21 years...

Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Was sober for over 21 years...

I'm coming back after a relapse that has been off and on for 3 years or so. During my sobriety I built a beautiful life by the grace of God. I forgot that I had the disease of addiction and ended up trying to drink socially. That worked for a while until my wife got cancer and life got out of hand.

I find myself extremely depressed and isolated. Last year I managed some sober time but blew it again. I'm something like 60 days sober now but this stuff is truly hard.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Cornbread.

I found support really helped me through the hard times - and you'll find heaps of support here

Good to have you join us

D
Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome Cornbread.

I found support really helped me through the hard times - and you'll find heaps of support here

Good to have you join us

D
I have had a really hard time connecting at meetings. Funny enough, I've been a forum junky for 15 years and never thought to check out forums for recovery. Shoot, I've owned a message board for 12 years.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Cornbread ! I'm on day 1 but can relate in the way that you never know what comes up in life and it can have a hell of an effect on us.

I went 2 years sober using SR as my only source of support. It's the best in my opinion so far.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was all about forums too, for years. Surprised it took me so long to Google one for sobriety and found this awesome community. I'm glad you did last, too!

I have a couple friends who racked up many years and then got lured back in. Good news is they've used it to deepen their sobriety and their lives. You can, too.

Thank you for helping me stay sober today with your reminder of what happens when we decide to tempt fate and be 'social drinkers' again.

Stick around
Old 03-14-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome, Cornbread! You know how to do this sober thing. Just get back on the horse and stick around here, the support is amazing!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cornbread!!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's nothing I can tell you about being sober that you don't already know. Use the knowledge you obtained over those 21 yrs. to stay sober.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, Cornbread! It's great that you found SR. First off 21 years sober is an epic achievement! You must have learned the ropes of sobriety pretty well to have kept with sobriety for over two decades. It's sobering (no pun intended) to see someone with so much sober time have a stumble. But it just goes to show that you can never take it for granted.

I hope things are okay with your family. I suppose you understand well that drinking doesn't help anything. SR has been a great resource to keep my on the straight and narrow over the last four years, and hopefully it will be helpful to you, too.

It's great to have you with us, Cornbread!
Old 03-14-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Cornbread, glad you are here!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome cornbread.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Welcome to SR Cornbread!
21 years of sobriety is amazing. Wishing you peace and strength as you find your way back.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sober Day #39 after being dependent on wine, daily, for years.

Hi Cornbread,

I too quit drinking before, for 5 years, and after the first few weeks, I rarely thought about it.
Then a severe trauma happened to me, and I thought that I didn't truly have a problem
and that I could just have 1 glass of wine to help me get through what I was going through.
We all know what happened----I was quickly back to the level of drinking that I was at before I quit, and drank daily again for a few more years.

This time I am armed with RR (AVRT) and this site, and I know that will make all the difference in the world.

This is a great place. It is wonderful to have company while going down this road. Stay strong. We can do it together!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Cornbread, to SR. 21 years of sobriety is a truly extraordinary accomplishment.

You will find an abundance of support, understanding and encouragement here.

You CAN reclaim your outstanding recovery! Never doubt it for even a second.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Cornbread. I am glad you are here. With that much sober time feel free to help me out with any advice!! I had to reset my sober date to 3/6. Resolved not to do that again! Welcome.