Notices

Islamic View of Alcohol

Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Islamic View of Alcohol

Interesting view on alcohol consumption from scholar of Quran. I know that many of us don't have too much cultural familiarity with this viewpoint but I found it very meaningful and I'm sharing as haven't found similar threads on SR, hope that's okay. Viewing this guy's other videos I have been inspired by the level headed and practical approach to life and religion, who woulda thunk it. https://youtu.be/9eLPWEtyLD0
Old 03-13-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for that Spartanman. Very good. And who would have thunk it
Old 03-13-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

People have the right to embrace the views of their choice, or not, just as we have the responsibility to be respectful about the spiritual traditions and religions to which others adhere.

I appreciate you sharing this, Spartaman. I will quibble a bit with the caveat "who would have thunk it." Most of us have not taken the time to learn very much about any religion than that we choose for ourselves. It shouldn't come as a surprise to learn there are many positive and life-affirming attributes of Islam, just as there are the other great religions of the world.

Part of my family is Muslim and I love them very much. From them, I have learned some of those attributes I mentioned above. I think it makes my world better.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Venecia, I am learning to be more open-minded. Didn't mean any disrespect. The "who woulda woulda thunk it" refers to my own growth and not to any limitations in Islam. While I was drinking I wasn't really one for looking at different perspectives with curious eyes. There is clearly much more to Islam than my small world and prejudice has shown me. Another joy of being sober, a whole tradition and culture to learn from.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree Venecia.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Prejudice. Pre Judice - judgement before the fact. A universal human tendency.

Such and such is so because I already know all about it. I've read the book. Which in turn was written by a prejudiced person. Not by someone who has direct experience of the matter. Even if I had read the book by someone who is rigorously objective I still understand it through my own filters of pre judice.

It's only through equanimous direct experience that I can see the real truth and know it to be so. Everything else is hearsay.

This is why it is continually emphasised that the only person who can become sober is you, no one can do it for you and it won't work if you do it for someone else. Do the work, reap the rewards.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a feeling posting this was a mistake... guess I'll stick to encouraging other people on their sober path.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it was a great post, Spartanman, and I'm glad you shared it.

Don't worry.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have researched different religions, beliefs andvalues to learn more about others out of respect. This is so I do not react with ignorance. Most beliefs of humanity have common core roots. Alcohol- interestingly differs in all cultures, religions and peoples. Depending on whether people are literal about what they believe, are moderate or progressive. I respect all for their beliefs, providing they do no harm or are unsafe.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thought it was a great post too Spartanman. What made you regret posting it?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Now what?

High Five!
Knowledge is power!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I appreciate you posting this Spartanman - I've long had an interest in and respect for Islam and particularly its stance with alcohol.

In a day to day sense if I'm ever in doubt about a certain food or drink and alcohol content looking up whether its halal or haram has helped me.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 03-14-2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: clarity