Notices

Day 14 - made it two weeks!

Old 03-06-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 14 - made it two weeks!

Today is day 14. Two weeks down! starting to struggle with the idea of not ever being able to drink again in social situations, now that I realized how many events I have this month that I would normally drink at. I CAN'T drink anymore because of kindling. My withdrawals are so severe after even a sip of beer that I cannot take the chance ever again. God's way of getting me to stop!

It's all mental for me now. Learning how to have fun again sober in a room of people drinking. I'm not worried about abstaining - I know I won't allow myself to go through the misery of withdrawal again, but how do I fight the depression I feel coming? Any suggestions on how to deal are welcome.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 14 days of sobriety! Fantastic!

If you think that not drinking in social situations is going to make you depressed, then maybe you can come up with ways to socialize that don't involve alcohol. How about meeting friends for coffee or going hiking with a friend? There are lots of things you can do to socialize that don't involve alcohol.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great on 14 days
Do you struggle in public or just if alcohol present
Like Anna says Avoid these situations -, if you can't cost of work - take a step back and observe people drinking and how they change and just be glad your not still in that place - if that makes any sense but I'm only 22 days myself so I'm no expert
Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! Congratulations on 22 days! Most of my social circle drinks, and so does my family. I want to still be social and hang out with the people I love. I have their support to quit drinking, but it does make me miss when I could drink with them. I used alcohol to mask the social anxiety I have at times. I definitely used that as a crutch to make myself more outgoing. Couple that with the anxiety I am still experiencing in early sobriety and it's frustrating. While it's absolutely best for me to quit drinking, and I guess no matter which way you slice it, it's necessary, I wasn't ready to quit. I guess lots of us weren't. I mentally always thought I had it under control, while my body clearly had enough. I know down the road I am going to think this was one of the best things to happen to me, but right now it's hard to imagine this summer, bonfires, holidays, vacations, birthday parties ... Everything I've always done while drinking, doing it sober. I've made it through what I thought was the hardest part (the physical, agonizing withdrawals), but the mental side and doubt is really giving that a run for its money.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job. Take it easy on yourself. It will get better as time passes
Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Totally get what your saying and feel for you buddy
Reading on here it gets better - so stick with it and keep coming back here and reading posts and threads it does help
Would you ask your doc for something for anxiety in the short term maybe
Old 03-06-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on 2 weeks
Old 03-06-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job! Hoping to get two weeks under my belt soon!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's fantastic and keep going x