Notices

13 days sober

Old 03-05-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

13 days sober

I'm new here. I'm still trying to grasp the fact that I even had a problem. I was a pretty heavy binge drinker, but I could stop at any point if I wanted to, so I am (was) not an alcoholic, right?! Wrong. Over the past few years I made a habit of going on 12+ a day beer benders, then quitting for a few weeks. Then starting right back up.

A few weeks ago I was in Vegas for a work trip and went on quite the binge. Went to take a nap before going out that night and woke up in a frantic, out of body state. I was disoriented, dizzy, confused. I had the most severe anxiety/panic attacks, I never felt one bit hungover, but felt like I was in a dream. My toes and fingers tingled like crazy, my heart pounded and I thought I was going to die. Hands down the worst experience of my life. I'm writing this so that I never forget just how horrific it was. I always thought I could just quit whenever I wanted and there would be no consequences, but it seems that's what got me into this kindling mess. This is my first and last experience with withdrawal. I promise you that.

I'm still having brain fog, fatigue and I still feel kind of out of it. This is a hell of a process. Taking a steady stream of vitamins and am looking forward to the day I feel physically normal again.

My last two weeks have been enough to motivate me to never drink a drop again. I know that my next withdrawal could kill me and I am not taking that chance. The hardest part I'm learning is to cope socially. Everyone around me drinks (friends and family) and I've declared to them that I won't be drinking again. They look at me like I'm crazy, thinking I don't have a problem, and attribute my "attack" to lack of sleep, anxiety, etc... But it's quite the opposite. I'm experiencing those things BECAUSE of my addiction to alcohol. I have everyone's support, but it's still difficult to sit around and watch everyone else have a great time and still be dealing with my anxiety/depression from becoming sober. Its something I'm forced to accept. I know that my automatic response to alcohol is God's way of helping me stop for good, and having a functioning alcoholic parent with a beer always in their hand is not the way I want my young kids to remember me.

I am steadfast in my commitment to sobriety, but it's still a daily struggle. I look forward to getting back to being my happy go lucky self and enjoying the blessings I have in life. Reading everyone's stories and successful recovery testimonies is a huge motivator and inspiration.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whether you are an alcoholic or not is irrelevant. Your body is telling you it has had enough. You listened, which is great.

Great job on 13 days. Keep it up.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 13 days sober! I used to think that I could stop drinking when I decided to, but of course, that was a lie I told myself. I'm glad you're feeling better and hopefully your anxiety will continue to be more manageable in recovery.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dls and congrats on Day 13!!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 03-05-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on almost 2 weeks! That is great. You made a great decision to quit.

Thanks for posting. I am 9 months sober and the farther away you get from those withdrawal symptoms it is easy to forget them. That is why I quit was because of the kindling. It is really scary the first time you experience that and it does get worse too. Eventually being around someone having a drink won't bother you and your anxiety will get better too. I definitely recommend exercising. That has been a lifesaver for me and so has church.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. I am starting to get very anxious about upcoming events this Month. St Patrick's day, a few mixers for work, birthday parties for friends, a concert my husband and I have had planned for a while. I hope my desire to never withdrawal again is strong enough to continue to say no in social settings.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job on 13 days
Old 03-06-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on two weeks! And welcome to SR!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dls2041 View Post
Thanks so much everyone. I am starting to get very anxious about upcoming events this Month. St Patrick's day, a few mixers for work, birthday parties for friends, a concert my husband and I have had planned for a while. I hope my desire to never withdrawal again is strong enough to continue to say no in social settings.
It takes awhile to get used to those kinds of events so if you don't feel comfortable going it is okay to stay home or only go for awhile and leave a little early. If you do go make sure to have something in your hand to drink...like a coke or seltzer water that way if someone offers you a mixed drink you can tell them you already have something. Or if you drive there you can say "no thanks I am driving".