Notices

Drinking 4 or 5 shots of vodka a night

Old 03-02-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Sdoobie. You're in great company here.

Like ljc, I drank like you are at 30 & had no intention of stopping. I figured I'd slow down at some point in the future. Little did I know my life would be changed forever due to becoming completely dependent on it. I only wanted it to be fun and relaxing - not a necessity. You'll never regret taking action now.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Good to meet you, Sdoobie. You're in great company here.

Like ljc, I drank like you are at 30 & had no intention of stopping. I figured I'd slow down at some point in the future. Little did I know my life would be changed forever due to becoming completely dependent on it. I only wanted it to be fun and relaxing - not a necessity. You'll never regret taking action now.
Wow thank you so much just hearing that helps me to stay on track because it so easy for me to get home and say Oh I'll just have a quick shot and then another and another. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2017, 03:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
You sound like me at 30. The good news is that you are in a way better frame of mind then I was. I loved drinking at that age and had no plans or thoughts of quitting. It was all positive for me at that point. No negative consequences in any way.

As my alcoholism progressed it got much less fun and much more of a burden. I drank because I had to not because I wanted too.

You would be smart to quit while you are ahead, because 15 yrs can fly by like it did for me.
Thank you so much for your insight! There's a part of me that thinks Oh I'm just relaxing I don't go anywhere I stay at home and my husband partakes with me but he stops at two and I keep going. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this if I should limit myself on how many shots I take or stop all together.. that being said I know myself and I know that I'll keep pouring shots argh :/ and when I get home that's all I wanna do is take a shot. Where do I start?? I guess get rid of the temptation huh?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
All is Change

Originally Posted by Sdoobie View Post
Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
What happens when you stop drinking?
So I drink about 4 or 5 shots with in about 3 to 5 hour period always after work. I'm pretty immune to vodka so I don't get sloppy Drunk I just get sleepy and go to bed I'm not an angry drinker either it's more of relaxing addiction for me.
Again, what happens when you stop drinking?

You expressed a wish to stop drinking. You have stated how much you drink and what happens when you do.

Have you stopped drinking for a longer period than usual and if you have what is it that happens. Is it that experience that leads you to wanting to stop or is it an idea you have because of what you have read or heard? Or is it something else? It helps to get that clear at some point.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome sdoobie

don't be afraid to change your nightly routine - if you usually drank before the TV maybe do something else for a while - read, hobbies, sports, whatever?

Posting here is good too - especially if you're struggling.

Why not check out our Class of March 2017 support thread too - all you have to do is join is post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-one-4.html

D
Old 03-02-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your insight! There's a part of me that thinks Oh I'm just relaxing I don't go anywhere I stay at home and my husband partakes with me but he stops at two and I keep going. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this if I should limit myself on how many shots I take or stop all together.. that being said I know myself and I know that I'll keep pouring shots argh :/ and when I get home that's all I wanna do is take a shot. Where do I start?? I guess get rid of the temptation huh?
No problem. I would give anything if I could go back and shake the ***** out of the 30 yr old me, and tell him to wake up. Unfortunately, I can't do that and that's ok.

Read the thread I started on moderation. A lot of good insight from members in there. For me moderation would and never will work. In my mind moderation is a waste of time. I don't want 2 I want 12, and that's no good.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,
I came across this SR site when looking for answers about alcohol addiction I drink every night 4 to 5 shots of vodka, for the last 5 years and 4 years prior to that it was whiskey. And the occasional beer here and there. I want to stop drinking I'm 30years old and I'm afraid of the damage I'm doing to my body. I felt like this site might have a good support system I can turn to for help
I have not read the whole thread, but 4-5 shots can turn into 14-15 shots before you know it and the damage to the body is significant. Get the help you need and good for you on getting this on the table and shutting it down.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Bruce thank you so much I will keep up on this site especially around my normal times I drink at night. Thank you for the support!
It's a pleasure, Sdoobie, we're helping each-other.

Sometimes just the simplest sentence gives one that little bit of extra motivation.

Be strong like 100 lions!
B
Old 03-02-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

filling my shot glass again and again.
Shot glass - what's that?

Eventually I was just a bottle-boy.

The madness continued.

How are you feeling today, Sdoobie?
B.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Welcome to SR Sdoobie! Have you tried tapering off? Just cut back a shot a night every so often.
please dont try this. its a great way to end up worse off than before. "just cutting back every so often" means theres no time complete abstinence will happen.

if you have a conern about withdrawls, see your doctor and be honest with them.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So I drink about 4 or 5 shots with in about 3 to 5 hour period always after work. I'm pretty immune to vodka so I don't get sloppy Drunk I just get sleepy and go to bed I'm not an angry drinker either it's more of relaxing addiction for me.

When I was around 30, that's pretty much what I did. Not with vodka though, that came later. At 30, it was mostly beer.

I kept thinking I would quit some day, but someday never came. Pretty soon I was 40, and since alcoholism is progressive, I needed to drink more to get the same effect.

Then things started to get messy, and I crashed and burned at age 47. My wife had no idea I had been drinking so much, for so long.

My point is, alcoholism is progressive, and your bodies ability to handle it decreases as you grow older. As the alcohol level increases, and you bodies ability to handle it decreases, things tend to get messy. Hangovers become unbearable, and mild shaking in the morning becomes a daily occurrence. Then the bright idea will occur to you to have a drink in the morning to relieve those symptoms. You can probably see where this is headed.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My advice - join the march group. Stick with it. I am in the February group and there is optimism, encouragement, shared experiences, and more. My plan is to check in every day for at least 30 days sober. You can skip the next part if you like, but here is my take on things.

If you don't know if you have a problem, don't drink for a month. If that's a problem, a problem might be what you're dealing with. But that's ok and you can solve the problem.

I agree that tapering is not for everyone, maybe not even for most. It means you still have it around. You have that opportunity to say, tonight just one more. And again. And again. And more. Been there a lot. There are a TON of great excuses if that's what you intend to find.

I used to also do it to get sleepy, until I realized I feared sleep without it. Still do, before bed, but I am creating strong associations to my mood and clarity in the sober mornings with my decisions the night before.

I only ever drank beer, but I started reading packaging for ABV for bigger impact. I know where a few more months and years would have gotten me.

I still have a long way. I want you to be strong for you and the ones you love, and I want you to succeed.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sdoobie,
Vodka was what I would drink, and when I was 30 it was probably about as much as you are drinking. Well, 29 years later I found myself drinking lots, lots more. I know I can't go back for a re-do, but what time I have moving forward will be without alcohol.
For me, trying to cut back was just more frustration and denial. Denial is great for having a drink! What I started asking myself is "What is this drink doing for you?" Not much and not worth it.
Don't waste all the years ahead of you. You will be so happy if you stop. For me trying to cut back (so many times, I lost count a long time ago) did not work.
Plan something different for your evenings. I found it very uncomfortable in the very beginning. Okay, it's uncomfortable. Not fun and I did not sleep well for quite some time. Too bad for me. I got myself into this mess. I just got through one day at a time and time does pass. I am new at this, but I am hoping that I can lick this. Soberrecovery has helped SO much.
Join the March group! We would love to have you join us.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grymt View Post
Again, what happens when you stop drinking?

You expressed a wish to stop drinking. You have stated how much you drink and what happens when you do.

Have you stopped drinking for a longer period than usual and if you have what is it that happens. Is it that experience that leads you to wanting to stop or is it an idea you have because of what you have read or heard? Or is it something else? It helps to get that clear at some point.
No I've never stopped drinking for a longer period then usual. What makes me want to stop is I've been reading lot about liver failure and it really hit me hard that there's no warning signs and you just die that being said im guessing that would take alot of alchol consumption, but regardless I don't want that to happen to me because of my own actions.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peacefulintent View Post
Sdoobie,
Vodka was what I would drink, and when I was 30 it was probably about as much as you are drinking. Well, 29 years later I found myself drinking lots, lots more. I know I can't go back for a re-do, but what time I have moving forward will be without alcohol.
For me, trying to cut back was just more frustration and denial. Denial is great for having a drink! What I started asking myself is "What is this drink doing for you?" Not much and not worth it.
Don't waste all the years ahead of you. You will be so happy if you stop. For me trying to cut back (so many times, I lost count a long time ago) did not work.
Plan something different for your evenings. I found it very uncomfortable in the very beginning. Okay, it's uncomfortable. Not fun and I did not sleep well for quite some time. Too bad for me. I got myself into this mess. I just got through one day at a time and time does pass. I am new at this, but I am hoping that I can lick this. Soberrecovery has helped SO much.
Join the March group! We would love to have you join us.
I'm glad you ended up quitting congrats for that! It's never too late. I did have a shot and a half last night I could have kept drinking but I feel guilty because I'm trying to take the steps not to drink so I stopped there and I was a bit moody but I tried to keep my mind occupied doing laundry, vacuuming, things like that. I will get there eventually! I think I will join the March group I saw a link somewhere on this page.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
No problem. I would give anything if I could go back and shake the ***** out of the 30 yr old me, and tell him to wake up. Unfortunately, I can't do that and that's ok.

Read the thread I started on moderation. A lot of good insight from members in there. For me moderation would and never will work. In my mind moderation is a waste of time. I don't want 2 I want 12, and that's no good.
Yeah I hear that. I will definitely check out that thread! Thank you!
Old 03-03-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
All is Change

Ok. Thank you. Well I suppose the thing to do is to stop drinking. If you do that you will find out what you are up against and can start putting together the resources you need to overcome whatever.