Notices

Sports and Alcohol

Old 03-01-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
Well, I can totally relate. I've been a huge Raiders fan back to the old days as my dad knew some of the players and Coach Madden. In any event, there were times I'd spend watching the old glory day games/superbowls on Youtube in until 3am.

My advice: consider yourself a "free-agent" fan. Don't get so invested with one team. Enjoy the sport and root for players. For instance, even though my Raiders had a completely heartbreaking season end, I still rooted for the Patriots because I like several players and the coach.

There's no rule that says you can't follow multiple teams. And think about it, players and coaches can leave. Heck, even the owner can pack up the team and move. As a fan are you stuck with the same crappy team? No, you're free to leave and follow another one that my be in the playoffs. Bandwagon fan? No, I'd refer to it as a "free-agent" fan!
You know, you wrote a lot of wisdom in your post about being a "free-agent." You're right. Players/coaches switch all the time. In fact on average every couple of years.

I just find it difficult to start rooting for other teams. Like there are teams I like, and they have players I greatly admire ( and I'll hope they win against anyone but my team) but I just don't have the same love as I have for them as other teams.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
Cavs will have to get past Boston to even make the Finals btw, just sayin'.
I'm actually more afraid of the Wizards. Last time we played them, it took a ridiculous LeBron buzzer beater to send the game into overtime. The Wizards are really emerging right now. And even though they are not in one of the playoff spots, the Bucks really give us problems. Every game against them is just so difficult because of their size and length. The Bucks will be scary going forward - got some incredibly talented guys who are so young.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can't remember who it was who originally said, "At some point, you're rooting for laundry."

I worked for a guy once who owned a professional sports team. He was kind of a jerk, but he said something rather interesting once: "Winning doesn't feel as good as losing feels bad." Okay, in his case it really was personal, but for those of us who aren't billionaires, maybe the goal needs to be not to take it that way?

I get it, I really do (we Pats fans have had a few soul crushers along the way), but if it's stressing us to the point of being a trigger, maybe we need to figure out another way.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've always been a huge sports fan and I attend a lot of live games. For my entire adult life, until recently, sports and booze went hand in hand. It was almost impossible to fathom the idea of watching a game sober.

For me, the transition to watching sports while sober has been pretty easy. Rationally, if you really enjoy a particular sport (like I have always claimed), then why is alcohol necessary? The answer: it isn't. I now see things while watching a football or baseball game that I never would have noticed before. Little things like players' interactions between plays or a player with a small but noticeable limp. I still absolutely love to watch sports in person and on TV.