Notices

Big craving

Old 02-21-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Big craving

I'm on day 12 and I've felt ok until now, never felt a craving as bad as this..what does everyone do when they come?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Eat something, then go out for a walk. It is like a wave & will pass in 15 min.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go running.
Hit the gym.
Take up martial arts.
Go fishing.
Take a walk.
Call a friend.
Go meet another sober person for coffee.
Get to a meeting.
Read The Big Book.
Watch a documentary on addiction.
Re-read your own posts and your own stories of the consequences of your drinking.
Journal - sit down and write about three of your worst moments with alcohol.
Go to the library and study something that interests you.
Volunteer... at anything.... call up a local service group and see what you can offer.
Go surfing.
Go skiing.
Go sailing.
Go hiking.
Go take photographs in the woods.
Meditate.
Say aloud to yourself in the mirror 150 times "I choose sobriety, I choose an abundant life"
Go walk and play with a dog - if you don't have one, offer to walk a friend or neighbor's dog....

There are literally infinite things you can do to step away from a craving.

But the very first and most crucial thing you must do;

CHOOSE NOT TO FOLLOW IT.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Basically do anything that will take your mind off things, even for a few minutes.

For me, I get outside and walk or listen to music. Eating something can also help.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds stupid but I drink loads of pop or squash, somehow it makes me "feel the need" less.

Try it.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling better Owl.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unwound View Post
Sounds stupid but I drink loads of pop or squash, somehow it makes me "feel the need" less.

Try it.
Actually my sponsor once told me that part of what drives cravings is that also our body is craving not just alcohol but the increased sugar we get from drinking. He suggested keeping around some Karo syrup and pouring a shot of that into a glass of juice to help curb cravings. It did help.

But had to be careful with that because I didn't want to just develop a new addiction to SUGAR.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I usually feeling a trigger or even an craving I always try and find an meeting that's going on that day or evening and I will hit up my sponsor and talk to her.

Ever heard of H.A.L.T in Recovery? It stands for Hunger, Anger, Loneliness, and Tired.

Hunger

Hunger is a vital feeling that keeps us alive and well. We hunger not only for food, but for love, understanding, acceptance, and achievement. That’s why it’s important that we first treat ourselves well. While simple for others, keeping a healthy eating pattern presents a challenge for many on the path to recovery. Keep track of the intervals between meals, pay attention to nutrition, and take notes on how your body responds. On the emotional side, loved ones should ensure that they provide an open and nurturing atmosphere, free from stress and enabling factors.

Anger

Anger often crops up unexpectedly, and people in early recovery can struggle to address it in a healthy way. With proper coping mechanisms, we can convert anger into positive energy rather than taking it out on ourselves or others. First, we must understand what triggers the feeling. Next, we diffuse it. There are a number of ways to go about it. What works best depends on your personality and the nature of the anger. Physical exertion such as exercise, hitting a punching bag, or doing housework helps many people diffuse negative emotions and direct them in a positive manner. Some prefer to meditate or do yoga. Others prefer to convert the anger into creative energy by writing or drawing. Others would rather have someone to talk to and vent their emotions.

Loneliness

Perhaps more dangerous than anger is loneliness. The feeling may not refer just to being alone; people can feel like outcasts even when surrounded by peers and loved ones. In the worst case scenario, loneliness can lead to stress, anxiety, and ultimately depression. Communicate with someone who understands is absolutely vital to address these feelings. Going on a walk or jog with a friend, calling a sober support, attending an 12 step meeting, or sharing our thoughts with others in group counseling can lead to relief from loneliness. The most important step is to recognize that we are never alone and that there are people who can help.

Tired

It’s normal to feel physically or mentally tired after a long day. However, fatigue can have heavy repercussions on health, including depression, stress, and anger. Many find it difficult to get the required amount of sleep amid work, school, and other priorities. Eating well and exercising can help the body achieve a restful night’s sleep. If you constantly feel tired or lack energy, talk to your doctor or therapist about ways to get the rest you need and deserve.

Avoiding or resolving the feelings in H.A.L.T. can be extremely valuable on your path to recovery. Learn to recognize these feelings, and understand the mechanisms behind them. Don’t ignore them.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Already a lot of good input posted. Just wanted to say that it's very much normal to experience such strong cravings in early sobriety. I'm just a little over six months , and I remember the first weeks especially being tough. I remember standing in a store getting in an instant sour mood because my cravings were so bad. I know that is not super encouraging, but just know it's normal and they will definitely decrease in time.

Edited to include that I keep my fridge stocked with LaCroix waters. I would only drink beer, so it's really important for me to have that bubbly carbonation still.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A large chocolate protein shake has usually worked pretty well for me.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

drink two large glasses of water is what I do