Notices

Skin rashes

Old 02-14-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Skin rashes

Is it normal to get skin rashes when drinking and in early sobriety? Do they clear up with some sober time? How long did it take? I have some itchy scales in various locations of my body.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol really dehydrates your body. Drink plenty of water and your skin should improve and moisturize really well with unscented lotion. If it doesn't clear up I would go to the doctor.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think all sorts of strange things can happen to our bodies while drinking and while trying to get sober. Our bodies don't know what "normal" is anymore.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I shedded my entire top layer of skin during detox. My face was so dry and sore. I drank about eight litres of water a day and used a very mild moisturiser and it cleared up. My lips also cracked it was horrible.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Heavy drinking is associated with skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It kind of makes sense, since alcohol is so dehydrating and it keeps us in a constant state of inflammation.

It should start to improve soon with sobriety, but it's definitely something to ask your doctor about, yes?
Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well don't even ask me about skin rashes I've just had the WORST experience with what started as Tinea Versicolor (too much hot yoga)....and then turned into contact dermatitis because I was allergic to the topical treatment. Yikes. It was awful. But its all good now.

Soooo my advice: If its really troubling and getting worse, go to the dr. Get the right treatment.