Notices

Day 5

Old 02-08-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

I'm on day 5 after drinking every day for about a month.

I thought I'd be feeling better.

I feel lousy. I dont care about anything, I look awful... I just lay here.

Is this "normal"? Is this withdrawal.

I've been taking vitamins, I do eat.

Aside from the physical withdrawal I'm just concerned because I just see the point in anything.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everything you are describing is typical at this stage. Just keep telling the AV NO and refuse to give in and have a drink. It's normal to be uncomfortable at this stage (sweating, lack of focus, irritability, etc). Just be sure to contact a doctor if necessary. Not everyone can just stop with physician supervision/instructions. But feeling lousy is pretty typical. Just try to hang in there and get to the next day. Then repeat. And post as much as you can. SR helps me a lot, when it comes to staying dry.

Vitamins and healthy foods is the way to go. But I would also recommend sweets for the short-term. Your body is craving the sugar it is not getting from the alcohol you gave up. Ice cream and candy are great to assist you with recovery in the early phase of sobriety.

To tackle the lack of energy/depression, maybe try to exercise. Maybe go for a walk/run every day to get the blood flowing. Or do something that you never had time for before (because you were always drinking). Read a book, call an old friend, etc.

Stay strong!!!
Old 02-08-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it's normal for early sobriety. You're barely past the acute withdrawal part. It's going to take weeks/months before you feel "normal" again. In the meantime it's going to be uncomfortable, irritating, raw, and a roller coaster of emotions.

Hang on, you only have to go through it once. Try to remember how much discomfort you're in so that later when you think a drink may be a good idea you'll have a memory of what's ahead should you pick up.

Just keep going forward. Eat good healthy meals and drink a lot of water. Sometimes something sweet is helpful - I know it was for me.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

lol. DesertTraveler, we cross posted nearly the same thing.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you very much because of course I start panicking, the it's "omg, I really need ONE because I might die".

That is going to be the tough part for me. Sometimes it IS just one, then others it turns in a few weeks or months drinking. Oblivion.

I'm having problems keeping my mind on one day at a time. I'm always in the past or the future. Obsessing. I know it's ridiculous. I hate feeling like I can't help myself.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
All is Change

Keeping the mind or attention focused on the present is one of the most difficult things a human can do. This flipping from the past to the future and only occasionally pausing in the now is the usual human condition. To truly realise this through personal observation of self is a big step.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Melissa- I'm on day four and I'm right there with you. I feel like crap. No shower for me because it's just too exhausting to even think about. I took the advice others have given; ate some chocolate and downloaded a new book to read. This just sucks.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Changing

Day 4 for me - we can do it - I'm going to aa this time and today I took a walk which improved my mood
Old 02-08-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you Tiffany! You go!! I'm gonna settle in for the night and hopefully get myself off the couch tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Melissa,

After a week or 2, all the booze has faded out of your system.

You are healing.

Your emotional mind wants to drink. You analytical mind is your only defense.

Give in and you relapse. You feel like a failure after.

Make it through the crave bouts and you feel amazing.

The crave never goes away, we get better at fighting it off.

I pretended that I was in prison and I couldn't drink.

I did this because I felt lucky to be free because of all the dumb things I did while drinking.

Initially, staying sober was kind of a fad. This lasted for about 3 months or so.

I had hellish bouts w anxiety for many many months after I quit.

All that is gone now. Now I have some discomfort periodically, mostly whIle driving on a certain stretch of road where I had an anxiety attack while driving. It caused a ptsd issue.

That is it.

Booze is poison. We are addicts for life.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I'll be sending you all positive thoughts!

I wish you all healing and a restful evening
Old 02-09-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is absolutely worth worth it. Stay strong.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Melissa, keep hanging in there and stick with it. I suspect things will turn around in the next couple of days. Patience is a hard lesson to learn, but it will be worth it.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone

Day 6. Still kind of the same. Not much energy. Guess I'm just getting to plain old to drink anyway.

Thank you for your support because I live alone and honestly don't get out much
Old 02-09-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA Member

welcome melissa

Old 02-09-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Melissa-

Again I'm just one day behind you and know what you mean. The newcomer morning thread is full of "I'm feeling GREAT this morning" stuff.. and I'm all "Day 5- still feel like crap. Maybe today's the day I'll actually shower"

Well get through this.

I just hope I can remember how hellish these first days are. They suck (but I know they could be worse).
Old 02-09-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you Millie, I'm with you.

Let's get through this and never return to this hell.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was a wreck at Day 5. Sad, angry and physically I felt terrible. It took me about a week and half to level out. Day 40 now and feeling better every day You've got this!
Old 02-09-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Melissa! Physical withdrawal can last about a week, then things slowly start to get better. Hang on, it gets better.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5 and my anxiety is through the roof! I haven't been angry though. I'm optimistic about how awesome it's going to be in a few weeks to sleep, feel good, and get things done in my life. I hope you find some energy soon. From what I hear it's worth it.