Notices

H.a.l.t??

Old 02-01-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

H.a.l.t??

I have been thinking about why Ive had my latest relapse, and I think I may have an idea. Its going to sound ridiculous I know, but ive used alcohol a lot in life to help manage my weight (amongst other things), when I drink, I don't eat as I don't feel hungry anymore, and the water I dump as its a diuretic means I can lose up to 4lbs overnight if I skip dinner. When a teenager I used the alcohol to make myself sick to lose weight, so its always been hand in hand.

I am aware I have to lose some weight for an upcoming event, ok I don't have to, but obviously I think I am fat, because I always think I am!!! and its been a battle trying to get it to shift this time. Drinking wine was my old dieting 'friend' and interlinked with disordered eating habits I have had for many years. Apparently I'm told a lot of people with eating issues also have other addictions that aid them in their disorder?

So ive lost a bit and it hasn't been going fast enough, and of course this means I have been hungry..... a lot. I think in truth this is why I decided to drink the wine, to get a headstart on the weight loss if I'm brutally honest, and fitting in the skinny jeans and looking fab overtook my want of being sober. That's really as honest as I can be and its a stupid stupid thought.

I'm aware that the H in Halt is for hunger,...im just wondering as to why this is a trigger for some people? I do realise for me it is a huge problem more than any of the Anger, Loneliness and Tired. Is there a chemical situation that happens when you become hungry that makes you crave a substance?
Old 02-01-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol works as a simple carb that spikes blood sugar levels, often times leading to alcohol cravings, when in actuality, it's sugar.
I personally never wanted to drink because I was hungry, but perhaps it does for others.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There may very well be a chemical factor going on with the sugars. I think the main focus of the HALT method though is that all of the factors ( Hungry/Angry/Lonly/Tired ) are things that make us feel uncomfortable. And as addicts we tended to try and ignore/run away from feeling uncomfortable by drinking. Using the HALT method forces you to actually address the real issues instead.

The "old/active alcoholic" way
Hungry? Drink
Angry? Drink
Lonely? Drink
Tired? Drink

The "HALT" way
Hungry? Eat
Angry? Talk it through, meditate, see your counselor, take a walk
Lonely? Call a friend, log onto SR, go to an AA meeting, etc
Tired? Sleep, exercise and eat better, plan your day better, etc.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am the opposite. Drinking has made me gain weight and I am over the bmi for the first time in my life. I eat like a pig when I drink and sit around. Then I get depressed about the 20 lb weight gain in the past yr and say f-it, even though quitting is a guarantee that I will lose the extra pounds. Stupid addictive thinking.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The whole HALT thing is super important for me. I've learned (for me) the body and mind are totally intertwined. The two physical stressors and the two psychological stressors of HALT can do a lot of crazy things. If I have two out of the four at any one time, I can get in too deep pretty easily.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
I am the opposite. Drinking has made me gain weight and I am over the bmi for the first time in my life. I eat like a pig when I drink and sit around. Then I get depressed about the 20 lb weight gain in the past yr and say f-it, even though quitting is a guarantee that I will lose the extra pounds. Stupid addictive thinking.
I also gain when I'm drinking and it's due to sitting around. Oh well, easier (for me) to lose the weight later.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I applaud the honesty in your post. I used to drink instead of eat as well, and skipped many dinners in this way. I also used it as a method to keep my weight down. It sounds so nasty and dysfunctional but that's what I did.

The problem is that alcohol means more calories and also less efficient fat burning. The body processes alcohol for energy before it burns fat. It's one of the reasons alcoholism causes a fatty liver and high body fat.

So I had a stuffed-up metabolism and was one of those "skinny-fat" people. I had a "wine belly" too. And no matter how much I exercised, it wouldn't shift.

All that exercise wasn't doing me that much good either - I was burning the lousy inefficient fuel of alcohol on my runs.

After about 2 months of sobriety, I experienced a significant difference in my metabolism. Like a switch flipped. I lost my wine belly and got a lot leaner. I also lost about 5-7 lbs in just a few weeks after that point. It was noticeable but I consider it healthy weight loss. I was exercising better so that helped.

I'm so much more content with a body that is healthy and fit, and I feel like I look better because I AM better, not because of dysfunctional eating (and drinking) habits.

How long have you been sober? It sounds like not very long (?). I would recommend that you stop worrying about this upcoming event and focus on the long term goal of sobriety and natural good health.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ok,this makes sense! the hunger and alcohol link is extremely strong for me and I think as this is the first time I have ever tried dieting whilst living sober, I didn't expect or have a plan in place for what is clearly a massive trigger for me. This has been important to know and at least my relapse has taught me this is an area of extreme high risk and to be very vigilant. At least it wasn't all in vain even if I am incredibly disappointed in myself
Old 02-01-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
I applaud the honesty in your post. I used to drink instead of eat as well, and skipped many dinners in this way. I also used it as a method to keep my weight down. It sounds so nasty and dysfunctional but that's what I did.

The problem is that alcohol means more calories and also less efficient fat burning. The body processes alcohol for energy before it burns fat. It's one of the reasons alcoholism causes a fatty liver and high body fat.

So I had a stuffed-up metabolism and was one of those "skinny-fat" people. I had a "wine belly" too. And no matter how much I exercised, it wouldn't shift.

All that exercise wasn't doing me that much good either - I was burning the lousy inefficient fuel of alcohol on my runs.

After about 2 months of sobriety, I experienced a significant difference in my metabolism. Like a switch flipped. I lost my wine belly and got a lot leaner. I also lost about 5-7 lbs in just a few weeks after that point. It was noticeable but I consider it healthy weight loss. I was exercising better so that helped.

I'm so much more content with a body that is healthy and fit, and I feel like I look better because I AM better, not because of dysfunctional eating (and drinking) habits.

How long have you been sober? It sounds like not very long (?). I would recommend that you stop worrying about this upcoming event and focus on the long term goal of sobriety and natural good health.
I had 22 days sober, longest ever in the time that I haven't been pregnant. But i have known the drinking was slowly getting out of hand and i had really lost control about 6 months ago. had various times when i tried to cut back and moderate etc, this was really the first time I felt like I had just had enough of the bottle and wanted to give it up completely. I am aware i cannot drink and did not think i would ever be able to moderate it again, so I'm very serious about being sober. just this issue threw me through a loop as I was not expecting it. Wine has also helped me regulate my weight over the years, and i know that but yet i hadn't considerd how I would feel when trying to diet and not use my 'go to' tool. I'm amazed I hadn't prepared myself for these feelings, but a lesson learnt, so now to move on and have a plan and learn. I wont look all that fab in my heels and skinny jeans a drunken mess no matter what size I was, afterall!

I'm just glad there is someone that actually understands this, as im aware it is really a very disturbed attitude and thought process and I feel quite ashamed and alone with it
Old 02-01-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Kel

Balance. That is what I seek. I try to develop long term, sustainable strategies for recovery....from whatever mal-adaptive behavior I have developed....and there are many

I get dieting. But it doesn't work. Healthy eating is really straight forward but boy we make it complicated. And the food industry knows how much Americans love, and struggle with, food. They create food that is incredibly addicting in the form of junk/processed food. So I avoid it. If I eat a diet of lean protein, healthy fat, lots of veggies, it pretty hard to more than 5-10 lbs over my perfect weight....which I always am. And losing 10 lbs? Guess what? It isn't the answer to anything. Its just another way to try to fix my insides by manipulating my outsides. If I need to drop a few lbs fast, cut out carbs/sugars. Period.

I think you know that drinking is not a long term, sustainable weight loss mechanism. You've fooled yourself into thinking it works because you drop some temporary water weight. That's your addiction talking.

I also need a long term strategy for my recovery from alcoholism. For me that's AA. I highly suggest you look into a program of some kind. If its a program that addresses how to live life without alcohol, it should help you with you eating issues. And btw, I relate big time. So you're not alone!!
Old 02-01-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you, I have very deep seated issues with weight etc and I am working with a cognitive therapist to try and work through it. My issue came from not dropping weight quick enough, so do something drastic.Alcohol did it, but of course my rational brain knows this is all rubbish and am doing more harm than anything. Luckily I like eating 'real food'. ive never gone for stuff made in a factory, that just pure luck on my tastebuds fortunately! it is my AV talking, it will try anything to make sure I carry on downing glasses of wine, and my weight is my weak spot.Without a program or plan in place, this was bound to be my downfall, just cant believe I didnt see it coming. tomorrow is another day, and I'm back in the saddle and will be working on putting more support together for myself and try and see my therapist.