Notices

Promised my dying Mother

Old 01-17-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Promised my dying Mother

I promised my Mom that I would quit drinking after a weekend of skiing. She's the only person I have to love in my world at the moment. My friends have disappeared (though I know they will return once I stop). I'm doing it for myself, but also to be accountable for my actions.

I wasn't asked to stop. My Mom told me it's too difficult. She knows that I keep taking days off of work and can't even do everyday things such as laundry or shopping when I drink. I told her I would do it for her. She also needs my financial support. She has less than a year to live with cancer. I need to be there for her though I removed myself from family due to the violence and abuse.

Everyone at the ski party (3days) drank, but I skied with 2 pints of whiskey on me to share, but some of the new people I'd met looked down on me though they were doing shooters too. I almost got into a fight playing cards against humanity due to someone else being drunk. I don't want to be that guy.

I kept thinking I didn't have much else to live for and that my actions would eventually take me away the way I thought I would deserve. I deserve a lot more.

I still have one person who tells me she loves me. I can't take it for granted. A promise is a promise, and I will do it even if it lands me in the ER. I want to hear my mother's voice happy for me. I want to see her smile and appreciate her smile. She is a strong woman. I need to be a strong man.

I watched 'Rain in my Heart' yesterday on YT. That was an eye opener.

I'm writing more plans in my binder to keep myself in check.

Thank you all for being here. I'm not sure I would be if I didn't come in here to check myself.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SS- to be there for your mum- you need to stop drinking for you. Have you seen a doctor about detox? Do you go to meetings? Do you go to counselling?
Not judgements, suggestions.
Thoughts and prayers to you and your mum.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My day 2 too, sobersolstice. Best of luck to you!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do this Sobersolstice!!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there sobersolstice! Make your Mom and yourself happy by getting on the sober train. Keep posting and reading SR. Hope that helps!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

SS- to be there for your mum- you need to stop drinking for you.
Seconded.

Have you thought any about a recovery plan sobersolstice - how you'll stay sober?

D
Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Seconded.

Have you thought any about a recovery plan sobersolstice - how you'll stay sober?

D
I have a binder with 5 dividers just like school, and have been working on adjusting plans. This is for me, but also a promise to my Mother. She worries a lot about me, so this will be good for both of us. This time, I have a different approach to sobriety as I've found withdrawals to be easier to deal with than hangovers. I also don't even like drinking anymore. If I have one beer, I almost feel like throwing up. I'm good without it anymore. Day 2, and I'm okay. I really need to address my health before anything else. Even after a day, my memory is better, and I perform better at work. It gets hard at around day 3 for me, but I'm going to push through with everything I've got!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is like getting beat up by your father all your life, and finally growing big and strong enough to beat him up with years of lifting and boxing for sending my Mom and I to the hospital when younger.

It's a fight. I will be champ. "Let's go Champ!"

Day 3.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know people say "you can only do it for you," but doing it for someone you deeply love - whether a dying mother or a baby in the womb or a 9 year old with sad eyes can be profoundly meaningful & important!!

Give that gift! It is so loving!

You might find things out about yourself along the way (& then it's a doubled gift), but even if you only hold it from its intention to the day of her death, it will be meaningful!

I got clean & sober for the child in my womb. I stayed clean & sober for my two children through their child lives. I am so grateful that my time with them was sober!

I struggled later - after they had grown to adulthood - & relapsed & ultimately returned to recovery for my own inner reasons.
Was anything lost by giving them the gift of so many years of a sober mom?
Sometimes, we value others more than we value ourselves. That's a good place to start.
Later, when I chose recovery for me, I had all the tools & experience (plus, my kids still mention that it was important to them).
You won't regret it. Hang in there. You'll gain skills & strength as you go...
Old 01-18-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was sober for my daughter between her ages of 10 - 21 then relapsed when she'd been off to college for a couple of years.

Now I'm recovering for me, but am also grateful for the years I was sober for her.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post

I promised my Mom that I would quit drinking after a weekend of skiing.

My friends have disappeared (though I know they will return once I stop).

My Mom told me it's too difficult.

She knows that I keep taking days off of work

can't even do everyday things such as laundry or shopping when I drink.

She also needs my financial support.

She has less than a year to live with cancer.

I skied with 2 pints of whiskey on me to share

some of the new people I'd met looked down on me

I almost got into a fight playing cards
Looks like you are probably alcoholic?
If so?
It seems that for the drunk things only get worse over time.
There is much support available -- if wanted.
M-Bob
Old 01-18-2017, 05:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Looks like you are probably alcoholic?
If so?
It seems that for the drunk things only get worse over time.
There is much support available -- if wanted.
M-Bob
Alcoholic. Not a drinker.

My whole body is breaking into rashes. So itchy.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
I know people say "you can only do it for you," but doing it for someone you deeply love - whether a dying mother or a baby in the womb or a 9 year old with sad eyes can be profoundly meaningful & important!!

Give that gift! It is so loving!

You might find things out about yourself along the way (& then it's a doubled gift), but even if you only hold it from its intention to the day of her death, it will be meaningful!

I got clean & sober for the child in my womb. I stayed clean & sober for my two children through their child lives. I am so grateful that my time with them was sober!

I struggled later - after they had grown to adulthood - & relapsed & ultimately returned to recovery for my own inner reasons.
Was anything lost by giving them the gift of so many years of a sober mom?
Sometimes, we value others more than we value ourselves. That's a good place to start.
Later, when I chose recovery for me, I had all the tools & experience (plus, my kids still mention that it was important to them).
You won't regret it. Hang in there. You'll gain skills & strength as you go...
Thank you for understanding Heartcore
Old 01-18-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
Alcoholic. Not a drinker.

My whole body is breaking into rashes. So itchy.
That's why I added the question mark. Not impossible but, hard for others to know if one is alcoholic.

Please answer these questions --
Has liquor ceased to be a luxury?
And now became a necessity?

Simple questions that shed a lot of light.

M-Bob
Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
waking down

You might find this relevant: https://www.thefix.com/content/trauma-and-addiction9180
Old 01-18-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me too. You can do this. You have an important reason to do this, not only for your Mom, but for you too.