Notices

Questioning almost everything!?

Old 01-02-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questioning almost everything!?

So, Im just over two weeks sober.
Since being sober Ive been questioning many things.... things I LOVED while buzzed.....
Things that I said I loved, said I would do (Like projects, hobbies, ideas) ...
I usually did these things at night, buzzed.....I enjoyed them THEN.
Im REALLY re-thinking MOST of what Ive done over the past few years- thinking - do I want to continue doing these things, do I enjoy then NOW- that Im sober-
One more thing - some of these activities were with people who now I feel) drain me.....(didnt "notice" or "care "about this while buzzed)
---Over to you ----can YOU relate????
Old 01-02-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really interested what those things were, because when I was drinking I never wanted to do anything but listen to music and turn my brain off. I never got anything done.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yep totally normal. just don't think too much. keep things simple.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found that there were many things I thought I enjoyed and people I thought I liked when drinking. After a few months sober I began to realize that these activities and people that I thought I liked were really in my life only because it was conducive to drinking. I have since made new friends and found new activities that I enjoy. Since getting sober life is incredibly enjoyable.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hmm, I questioned things I had been doing and made a lot of changes, including some people in my life. But, towards the end of my drinking I had given up most activities, so I was glad to get back to do things that I loved.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks+!

Unfortunately I cannot relate. I drank at home and I drank to blackout so I don't remember anything that I may have done to determine if I thought it was pleasurable at the time :-(

I'd suggest you do what feels best for your sobriety whether it's hobbies or people you hang with IMHO.

Keep up the great work!
Old 01-02-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I was drinking at a bar and had the right kind of gregarious buzz going, then I could enjoy certain types of people who I ordinarily would find repulsive. But as for activities...not so much. Sometimes I would write something that seemed insightful at the time, or come up with a cool new guitar riff, but usually I'd forget it by the next morning :/
Old 01-02-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Human

I think that's one of the many and normal paths for someone in recovery who is learning the form new ways of thinking. If you try to finish the projects or ideas you had while drinking, and hate every second of it, then there's your answer. If you already notice the people/places you enjoyed while drinking are now a source of feeling drained, then I suppose you've already figured it out.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep, pretty normal for me. I enjoy some of the same things- reading, always been a huge reader since I first learned how, and drinking only meant I retained less- and don't enjoy others, like being in big party settings. I find one-on-one time much more fulfilling and I am able to really focus on the other person or two I am with.

One of the gifts of sobriety is being able to do whatever I want- or don't want. I don't say yes to things or go to places or spend time with people that don't fit into my life model; I am happy spending time alone and do it plenty; I love being at a job where there are lots of people around and things going on (I work in a restaurant) and I am LOVING discovering all the things to do in my city that I'd have chosen not to do (or not know about) because I'd have been focused on drinking, somewhere, as the sole focus of my time.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello LN, i can relate. Several months into sobriety i questioned everything. My career path, company i worked for and most importantly my marriage. I was full on drinking while dating, marriage etc. Then came the anxiety of what i thought were major life mistakes. Then i had to take a step back, rationalize and accept that in fact i was damn lucky to still have everything listed above and more!
Old 01-03-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi livingnow,

That definitely happennned here too and it has had a very positive impact on me.

If you haven't yet I think this is the perfect time to also ask yourself what is it that you want to do and build a solid recovery plan to help you get there.

Well done on 2 weeks, the first two were the hardest for me by far.

P
Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livingnow View Post

do I want to continue doing these things, do I enjoy then NOW- that Im sober-
One more thing - some of these activities were with people who now I feel) drain me.....
Took me a long time to get my mo jo working after sobering up.
When drinking I enjoyed working in the yard.
9 years sober and I still don't like it.
I pay people to do it now.

Drains me today to spend time with my neighbor who in the old days I drank heavy with. Bores me today hanging out with heavy drinkers. Ones who's day is centered on booze.

M-Bob