Notices

Question

Old 01-02-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

I'm 28 and I have drank pretty heavily for about five years. This last stint, I've drank almost daily since June. About 8 drinks a night. However, the last week it was all day, everyday because I knew I was giving it up Jan 1. Well, yesterday was horrible and I started having panic attacks because I read you could have DTs and die from stopping! So, I ended having a few to stop the anxiety. It's been ten hours since my last drink now and it all started again. I started freaking out thinking that I was going into DTs again. This time, though, I took a klonazepam instead and now I feel fine. Am I just having panic attacks or is it going into super withdrawal? (As you can tell with the klonazepam script, I have bad anxiety issues. That's why I drank in the first place. Seeing a therapist now. Tired of self medicating.)
Old 01-02-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anxiety is very common in withdrawal. It will get better after a few days sober. The klonazepam will help soothe the anxiety.

If you start feeling worse, do get medical help. Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to mess with.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only a medical professional can say. But you sound like me in a sense I'm the same age and have anxiety, when I was drinking over the last few slip ups I thought I was having "seizures" and truly believed it and was in hospital twice but it may well have been intense anxiety not withdrawal or a seizure.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do not ignore it. If you feel bad go to the doc. Hope you are better.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawals from alcohol are unpredictable. If you are concerned, talk to your dr or go to an ER for help.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

True DT's occur in 1-5% of the population. That anxiety though is horrific . I'm glad you have a med available . Deep breath!!
Old 01-02-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol for sure makes the anxiety and panic attacks come back with a vengeance, and it gets nothing but worse the more the cycle continues.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi Bwallace. The anxiety is really, really tough. I have anxiety issues without the alcohol, never mind withdrawing from the bloody stuff. The klonazepam should help get you through the initial spike (withdrawal anxiety). But as others have said, if you start to feel worse, go get some medical help. I know for me, in my mind I always thought I was way worse physically than i actually was (I was convinced I was dying of withdrawal at one point - I wasn't, I'd just worked myself up that much and was having constant panic attacks).

It gets much better quite quickly though, and the anxiety will hopefully reduce for you too
Old 01-02-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drank everyday for over 27 years.

Today I am 70 days sober. The first few days were brutal. Dry heaving, anxiety, panic, depression. I couldn't work, eat, or sleep. I paced the floor and tried to stay busy but I couldn't think straight.

But it gets better everyday. Hang in there. I still have my moments but it gets easier.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi bwallace88,
Please forgive me if my post makes you more anxious. Klonazopam can cause the very issues it treats also, so please be very careful.. It screws with our receptors & neuro transmitters just like alcohol & even if taken in small doses the body can become dependant on it & go into severe withdrawl & cause anxiety & panic when it doesnt get it. Not to scare you but the benzo drugs can be as hard to get off as alcohol & I would hate for you to go through withdrawl from alcohol & klonazopam.. Also the increased anxiety may be the body wanting the pill not just the alcohol..
Old 01-02-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Red, but this only like the third one I've ever taken in my life. J hate pills haha

For everyone else, once I calmed myself down and the klonopin kicked, I was able to think rationally. I realized I hadn't eaten in two days so I got some calories in me, I feel okay now. I haven't had any shakes or sweats. Just the chills a couple times. I actual feel good enough that I'm going to an 8 pm meeting. Thanks everyone!!