I'm ruining my life...

Old 12-24-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Merry Xmas K66

D
Old 12-24-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Indeed, a veteran of numerous times in rehab here. I haven't always got it right further down the track once back home, but when I look at my old calendars, I'm struck by how that 28 days (or sometimes a bit less) in that safe environment has given me a solid chance to begin again, and get a few months up. Mightn't sound like much, but for this (diagnosed) severely alcohol dependent old gal, it's huge.

The insurance premiums are a killer for me (on a pension and not much other money), but every time I eventually get in...I feel safe, cared for, in the hands of - in my latest rehab - highly professional and lovely staff: nurses, psychs, other therapists, a small progressive pastoral care team, delightful admin, cleaners and kitchen staff too.

I know many other patients / ex-patients who book themselves in for relapse prevention over Christmas / NY - I haven't been able to do that, due to dog-boarding problems. But having been there on other major holiday periods, and hearing the stories of Christmas: full on slap-up meals for the season, cheery decorations around the place, nurses doing little things like leaving an easter egg on our pillows. I've also been there a few times when it's a patient's birthday, and all the rest of us have thrown them a hoot of a party in the patient's lounge area. A good rehab can be a very special place, away from the madness of the outside world for a time, once you settle in, especially after detox and you're starting to feel a bit more alive.

you're very fortunate, K66 - I hope you've got it happening, luv.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi K66,

Just checking in to see how you are doing. Hope you were able to check into rehab, and that you are doing well.

❤️Delilah
Old 12-24-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One of my usual afterthoughts:

K66: yes, the fear is there, everytime. I hear you, as do we all. I've felt it - even when hovering over the phone to see about bed availability, to go into a place like I just described - safe, supportive, and where the whole modus operandi is to help us get well. And where I've been before!

The fear you feel for your first time ever is not that much different from that fear when you have to go back (which I pray you don't, of course). That fear - for me - is always and fundamentally coming from my addiction. 'It' doesn't WANT to be stopped in its tracks, and will come up with a zillion seemingly persuasive reasons as to why it shouldn't - 'JUST YET'.

That's the nub of why everyone here has been cheering you on to Just Go as soon as you possibly can - whether it's Christmas, New Year, Easter, your mother's cousin's birthday, so-and-so's 60th wedding anniversary, an old friend from 20 years ago is in town, .................................................. ..........ad infinitum.

You'll come to understand that, as you learn more in rehab, from gleaning other knowledge and information about addiction, and from the wealth of information and experience and huge support here. I hope you'll keep us posted on your journey.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I went to rehab for 7 weeks in October 2015. I totally understand your fear; I was absolutely terrified. I cried the whole way there. It turned out to be the best thing I've ever done. If you go to the right place, it won't be just about drinking or using. You'll learn a lot about yourself, how to deal with situations you used to numb yourself to, how to become at peace with yourself and more emotionally stable. I went to rehab because my husband filed for divorce and took temporary custody of our son. Not sure I would have gone otherwise. But I'm so glad I did. PM me if you have questions....I've been in your shoes.