Notices

Please Help Me

Old 12-12-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, at first I get really happy, a sense of everything feeling great.
I usually end up drinking to black out and usually engage in self destructive behaviour.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I then wake up with an overwhelming feeling of dread shame, guilt embarrassment and I end up in a state of panic.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That cycle you describe is classic. Its called a hamster wheel, merry go round, washing macine....whatever. Its a vicious cycle that forces us through the day to race home and get that booze down our throat to find short term relief. Only to wake early or middle of the night in a panic, freaking out, trying to stay calm, getting to work, only to once again fight through the day, race home.....you see what I'm getting at? It ALL goes away if we can find the strength to quit.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes I do.
I need to plan out my weekend now and have a list in place of things I will do and a plan as the last 8 weeks have been a hamster cycle like you described. Where I spend all week saying I won't touch it and feel strong in my resolve until The weekend. So I need to resist and find the strength to make it the normal not to do that.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm going to go to meetings on Friday night after work and Saturday. and I'll write out, think of what else to do.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm going to read more because this site and everyone's advice is so helpful.
I lurked for a long time and when I was able to go long periods of abstaining, I read about
H.A.L.T. Here.
I will look more into the hamster wheel and I've learned more about A.V. Etc but not in depth . so thankyou knowledge is power and I'm happy to discover or even to write out helps so much.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The "hamster wheel" is just an expresson, I don't think its an official alcohol term. Regarding what to do with your time, that is an extremely popular topic in early recovery. Some people have to stay busy, make lists, workout, paint, clean the house....whatever. I am the complete opposite. I did very little physical activities, instead I read. I read until my eyes bled. It kept my mind occupied.

You can do this. Many people have. Make SR part of your daily activities.